Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:17 PM
|
Drifting
Default Transfer case stuck

Hello all,

New to me 96 Discovery, 88,xxx miles.

I have read multiple threads regarding problems shifting the t-case into hi/lo/diff lock. But...I still need assistance. This is my first venture into Land Rover, previous experience has been of the Jeep 4WD variety.
When I got the vehicle (two days ago) the hi/low/diff lock shifter would only move side to side,so I kept it oriented to the right. It was a little sticky. Foreward and back on either side was not possible.
Occasionally (happened twice already) the diff lock light illuminates without touching the shift lever. When this happens the vehicle clunks in the front end so I assume it is locking. After driving a short distance the light goes out and all is well again.

Today I sprayed the linkage with PB Blaster from the underside and removed the center console/drilled out the rivets etc to have a look. I sprayed the linkage from the top. I removed the first four bolts that go around the shifter shaft to see if/how bad it was corroded. There doesn't seem to be much if any corrosion. I sprayed around in there a bit and tried working the shifter. I can now go side to side easily and it seems to firmly "stop" where I think it should. I have managed to get a little mushy movement foreward and back, about 1/2"- 3/4".
It appears the side to side linkage and all associated parts are operating as they should.

The hi/lo part is what I am questioning now. If you follow that linkage to the t-case it connects to a little "arm". It appears the linkage is sloppy where it connects to that arm. When I move the shifter the 1/2"-3/4" the little "arm" on the t-case does not move but the linkage does if that makes sense.
Now, it is my understanding right above that little arm on the t-case under the four bolts is the safety solonoid. Could that be what is keeping the arm from moving?

If this is the case of a bad solonoid:
Can someone detail the procedure for removal of the solonoid.
Explain the effects of removing and not replaving it
Anything special to do to the electrical connector?
Thank you

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:37 PM
Team Owner

Yeah it is the solenoid stopping you from going into low.
Unplug it, remove it, replace the cover, done.
The down side?
You could be doing 80mph on the expressway and accidently throw it into low.
If that happens make sure you are wearing your seatbelt.

Honestly though, I do not think it will go into low while you are moving faster than 25mph.
You will grind gears before it goes in.

So unless your dog is jumping from front seat to back seat or you have a really great girlfriend you dont really need that solenoid.

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:48 PM
|
Drifting

Thanks for the fast reply! I should have posted the question 8hrs ago...

Girlfriend..LOL my Wife would run me over with the Rover

Do you happen to have any pictures of the procedure or of the exact location and of the solenoid? I just want to make sure what I'm thinking is what your talking about. I only recall seeing one wire to something a little more towards the bottom of the t-case.

I suppose it's best to remove it from the underside too since there isn't much room from the top.

Thank you very much!

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i got some pictures... they may not be the best but they may help... i'll see if i can find them

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

this is the only decent one i could find
Name:  CIMG1247.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  110.7 KB
where you see the four bolt holes is where the cover for the solenoid bolts up... remove that cover, remove the solenoid from the cover (it should come out with the cover when you pull it off) and then put the cover back on without the solenoid... i hope this helps... i meant to take more pictures when i removed mine but i started gettin frustrated and gave up on the pictures for the most part

Old 03-16-2010 | 11:32 PM
|
Drifting

Thanks for the pic! This is looking down from the inside of the vehicle?

What wire needs disconnected? The green one or the loom in your picture?

Also, when I re-install the plate it should be sealed with RTV correct?

Old 03-17-2010 | 12:11 AM
|
Drifting

I think I may be unsure where the solenoid is located. I thought I had a good idea but while looking at a diagram the "plate with 4 bolts" I thought was the solenoid appears to be connected to the shifter housing..or is it in there and I have to remove everything?

Any help?

Old 03-17-2010 | 12:27 PM
|
Drifting

Update:

I removed the solenoid. For anyone else who was wondering, I removed the transmission shifter. It's not bad, certainly no worse than what you took apart to get this far just drill out the 6 or so rivets and fanangle it out of the hole..

Once the transmission shifter is out, the solenoid can be easily seen on the t-case. Remove the 4 bolts and attempt to pop it off. I say attempt because mine was pretty stuck on there. A few taps with a hammer and it was loose.

Now..

I played around with the t-case shifter and I have good movement foreward <-> back and left <-> right. So I started to re-install the console, I have the boot on the t-case shifter.....

BUT..When the shifter is positioned in High (toward the back) it doesn't stay there, it pops foreward.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jay5oh; 03-17-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2010 | 12:42 PM
Camel Trophy

the solenoid keeps it in place? I have never taken it out, so I am not sure.

Old 03-17-2010 | 01:35 PM
|
Drifting

I have no idea..

I just took it for a ride though. It poped out of high and in to neutral twice. Both times I stopped, put the trans in N and then the t-case into H.

I also stopped at a big dirt parking lot to tinker with it. The diff lock seems to be working in low and high, the light even illuminates. Low range works as well.

As I was leaving the lot and heading home something began making noise. Sounded like maybe a warning chime but it was a solid tone. When I got home I shut the vehicle off, re-started and it stopped..

Quick Reply: Transfer case stuck