Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case or Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case or Transmission problem?

Driving back from VT today after a nice day of 4wheeling in my 2000 Disco. 15 miles from my home, I start hearing a loud whining sound coming from the center of the car. When I got off my exit and came to a complete stop, then tried to start moving again, the car felt as if the brakes were keeping the car from moving forward. The rest of the way home bucking whenever I accelerated. I managed to reach my house just as the "high /low" shift amber light started flashing accompanied by 3 chimes.
Checked under the car, no leaking anywhere all looked ok.

Rotoflex is in good shape, replaced it 5000 miles ago
front driveshaft replaced 10,000 miles ago,rear shaft fine , all ujoints excellent and greased religiously
tranny and transferbox fluids changed 7k ago
Car has 156k on it, lots of wheeling this year.

Will check transfer case/diffs/tranny fluid levels tomorrow....hope its not the tranny
Anyone experience the same symptoms?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Why would you continue to drive it when you knew there was a problem, are your pockets that deep?
Let us know how all the fluids look by level, color and metal content.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling

discomike, I know it was stupid but it was 10:30pm, torrential rain, 3 kids under 6yrs, wife, no cell ph service. Just checked fluid levels. Diffs fine, tranny fine, transfercase had maybe 1 ounce of dirty molasses fluid and smells burnt. I have taken a picture of the metal shavings on the magnetic plug..
The one time I had my wife have jiffy-lube do the transfer box fluid change (I was away in the UK) 7k ago, I don’t think they actually did anything because they were not familiar with where the fill plug is located. No way this 1 ounce of fluid is 7k old.
Having said that, does the amount of shavings in the picture seem normal for a transfer case that has not had a fluid change in 25k?
I guess all I can do is either crack open the case and examine the gears for damage or just fill it up with heavyweight gear oil and Lucas and see if it works itself out...otherwise I'll be buying a new one.

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case or Transmission problem?-transfer-case-metal-shavings.jpg  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Just refilled the transfercase but it only took 1 liter of fluid from dry, thought it holds 2 liters. Brought the car out for a drive, amber gear (hi/low) light flashing and chimes upon acceleration, goes away upon deceleration. I tried driving in low gear, no amber gear (hi/low) and chimes so low gear seems ok although just doesnt sound the same as before. Shall I try to add more fluid now that I have driven the car?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

It takes 2.2 quarts.
You might want to send me your tele number and I'll call you.
The metal is slightly above normal, any copper or shinny metal in it?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Three Wheeling

drained and refilled the transfer case a second time. Magnetic drain plug has as many particles as the first time I unscrewed it. Car drives nw but with the continual "chimes" and amber gear light flashing. Is this transfercase toast?
discomike, I will PM you my number...thanks