Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfercase or Transferbox High/Low shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Transfercase or Transferbox High/Low shift issues

I've been searching the info on here about high/low shifting issues, but can't really pin point the problem I'm having with my '01. Sometimes it works flawlessly shifting into low, and other times it will not come out of high range? It's hit or miss?? Usually other people's issues they've had with this in the past are always the same (will not shift out of high range or vise versa). I've been underneath and seen the shift cable ends were a bit rusty, so I sprayed the sh*t out of them with lubbage, and right away I could shift the transfercase. That was maybe 2 months ago? But just this last weekend out and about, I couldnt get the transfer case out of high again? Then last night I went out and did what manual says to do (which I feel is pretty rediculous when you have to refer to a manual and double check "how to put your vehicle into low range??" lol)
1) Place hand parking brake
2) Shift auto tranny into neutral
3) select high or low

Well it worked again?? It's hit or miss, and usually miss when I want Low range!!

Do I pull the transferbox solenoid? (don't want to) or just keep lubbing the cable from underneath? Maybe it's more corroded then I think? The PO of this rig used it as a "Mall Crawler" it's whole life...so low range was probably never used (unless slow approach drive by city bus terminal was needed).....What do you guys think?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I've been searching the info on here about high/low shifting issues, but can't really pin point the problem I'm having with my '01. Sometimes it works flawlessly shifting into low, and other times it will not come out of high range? It's hit or miss?? Usually other people's issues they've had with this in the past are always the same (will not shift out of high range or vise versa). I've been underneath and seen the shift cable ends were a bit rusty, so I sprayed the sh*t out of them with lubbage, and right away I could shift the transfercase. That was maybe 2 months ago? But just this last weekend out and about, I couldnt get the transfer case out of high again? Then last night I went out and did what manual says to do (which I feel is pretty rediculous when you have to refer to a manual and double check "how to put your vehicle into low range??" lol)
1) Place hand parking brake
2) Shift auto tranny into neutral
3) select high or low

Well it worked again?? It's hit or miss, and usually miss when I want Low range!!

Do I pull the transferbox solenoid? (don't want to) or just keep lubbing the cable from underneath? Maybe it's more corroded then I think? The PO of this rig used it as a "Mall Crawler" it's whole life...so low range was probably never used (unless slow approach drive by city bus terminal was needed).....What do you guys think?
Hi, I don't know where you are getting that info from but you are supposed to be rolling at less than 5mph when changing hi to low or back and not stationary. It would pay to dowse the low gear lever and linkage with a large dose of WD40 and work it in well changing regularly. The low range is supposed to be 'exercised' at least once a month but better still once a week. I think most 'towny 4x4 warriors' never use low range during the life of their vehicle ownership which doesn't help.

The following users liked this post:
Brian's '02 Disco 2 (12-26-2019)
Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That info is in the little green users handbook that comes with the vehicle (I am quoting that book off the top of my head, I don't have it here in front of me)..They list two different directions on how you can put the rig in and out of low/high range. It mentions setting the "hand brake" on one version, then their is the "experienced off roader" directions, where you can switch between Hi/Low while rolling up to 5 mph's...lol

I dont see my issue being electrical due to it happening randomly....I will grease the cable again and keep working the cable more frequently...who knows...

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll find shifting between Hi/Lo to be much easier while you're rolling slowly in either forward or reverse.

With the vehicle stationary, the gears have to be parked just right for it to move from one position to another effortlessly. When you're rolling, the gears are slowly turning, and it's bound to find a good position to switch as you're putting pressure on the lever.

Mine won't budge if I'm standing still. The 0-5mph works nearly every time. Try parking on a slight incline and letting it roll backward slowly when you change it. It should hop right into the new position.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the 2001 owner's manual:

Normal method
With the vehicle stationary and the engine
running, apply both foot brake and parking
brake and then move the automatic gearbox
selector to the ‘N’ (neutral) position before
moving the transfer lever fully forward or
backwards to the required position.
If there is resistance to the gear engaging, do
not force the lever. Instead, with the engine
running, apply the foot brake and parking
brake, momentarily engage ‘D’ (drive) on the
main gearbox then return it to the ‘N’ position
and try again.

Advanced method
Changing from ‘H’ (High) to ‘L’ (Low) or vice
versa without stopping the vehicle can be
achieved as follows:
Reduce (or increase) the speed of the vehicle to
5 mph (8 km/h) and release the accelerator.
Select ‘N’ and move the transfer lever quickly to
the required ‘H’ or ‘L’ position. Finally, reselect
‘D’ with the main gear selector and continue
driving as normal.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by QuakerJ
You'll find shifting between Hi/Lo to be much easier while you're rolling slowly in either forward or reverse.

With the vehicle stationary, the gears have to be parked just right for it to move from one position to another effortlessly. When you're rolling, the gears are slowly turning, and it's bound to find a good position to switch as you're putting pressure on the lever.

Mine won't budge if I'm standing still. The 0-5mph works nearly every time. Try parking on a slight incline and letting it roll backward slowly when you change it. It should hop right into the new position.
Spot on with that description. I couldn't have put it better.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

SOLVED

I thought I would reply back with an answer to this. It was my Hi/Low transfer case shift solenoid. I removed it when I installed my 04' CDL linkage, works great now.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

?? Trying to wrap my head around how a removed solenoid would prevent the shifter from moving....

I do remember the 2004 shifter having an extra solenoid compared to my factory 2000, which I also removed, as mine already had a solenoid on the top of the transfer case...

Old 08-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I removed both solenoids. The one on the 04' linkage, and the solenoid on top to the transfer case. When the solenoid on top of the transfer case starts to fail, it won't allow you to move your Hi/Low shifter. Mine would primarily only fail when engine/running gear temps were hot. In the driveway cold, I could usually shift it in to low. But that sucks when your on top of a mountain later in the day and you want low range...happened every time.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I gotcha now. The solution was to remove the solenoid. I read it incorrectly.

Quick Reply: Transfercase or Transferbox High/Low shift issues