Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission??

1998 LR Disco I, 100k on the odom. This has happened 2 times now, about 6 months apart each time.

First off, drives great, transmission seems great 99 days out of 100. Low gears, high gears, all work fine.

The issue is that a couple times now, when stopping the car after driving it around town, it will make a sound similar to a stick shift shifting without using the clutch. This only happened a couple times within a year, and it happened only when we would try and put it in park, or neutral.

Quick fix: turn off the car, then shift into park and take out the keys.
Real fix: ???

We're actually looking at selling this one and buying a newer car, and I guess the planets aligned because during the only potential buyer's test drive, it happened. Talk about embarassing. The second time it ever happens is when it is being test driven by a potential buyer!!!!

Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

When did you last service it??

Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well removing the keys from the ignition has nothing to do with it.
Have you checked the trans fluid level? How about the transfer case fluid?
Like Mike asked, when was the last time the drive line was serviced?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over two years ago... :S

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
When did you last service it??
Last serviced over two years ago. Haven't checked fluids. I'll get to that when it's light out. I'm a rookie when it comes to transmissions...is adding/swapping trans. fluids something I should leave to the experienced?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's easy only the transfer case is hard to open up. Open your front and rear differentials and check the oil level. My rear got real low before I started to do my own maintenance and it would clunk a lot.

There are 4 oil cases to check, the 2 differentials, the transmission and the transfer case. Check your manual for types of oil to use. Also there is the transmission oil filter that could need to be changed. It's good to pull the plug anyway as there are magnets and you can see if there is any excess metal shavings.