Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Mike,

Per my scan guage at start up cool engine with the new battery in I'm getting a read out of 13.6 to 14.0... as it warms these numbers drop to the low 13's and sometimes dip to hi 12's

Cheers

Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Drifting
Talking Transmission

Mike,

Just to answer the rest of your question no codes no CEL and come to think of it no it was not running when checked. Did the fill... run...shift...turn off... repeat until I couldn't get any more in... need to change anyway so I will add that to my list to do this weekend and update y'all when done.

cheers

Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont replace your optima battery, get a battery tender, if its bad the tender will bring it back to life.My optima batter is five years old, is still great.Also remember if you get a new battery charge it before installing it, as the alternater will never fully charge it up the first time. I would check for bad ground wires and loose connections.Go to auto zone and get them to read the o.b.d to see if any codes come up.It might be a soliniod 's under the shuttle valves, whitch are very easey to get too, but they are $150 a pice. A good honest tranz shop can tell u whats wrong for a fee, and if they say the shuttle valves take her home and do it yourself.

Good luck

Old 08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Drifting
Smile Transmission

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I got my Rovertym bumper on last weekend and then had to head out of town all this past week to Boston. Great town! My first time there. lots of beer consumed and visited the Green Monster. I digress...

Ok, This is what I have done so far, replaced the battery, just replaced the Alt today, Checked the ground connections on the top side and added dielectric grease and ensured they are clean. I am getting 14 - 13.7 at cold start up and 13.2 - 13.5 when hot on the scan guage with new alt... basicly the same numbers as my old alt. I have no codes and no check engine light.

The symtoms as such. In town it is not wanting to shift into the next gear at around fourty mph. Once on the highway it will shift. Another symptom as per an earlier post is the fact that if I push the mode button the "M" shows up not the "S" This is also intermitent. The only thing I have not done is replace the fluid. I have about 30K on my fluid... combo of redline and mobil 1... I am at a loss!

Your wisdom please.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zieselp
Mike,

Just to answer the rest of your question no codes no CEL and come to think of it no it was not running when checked. Did the fill... run...shift...turn off... repeat until I couldn't get any more in... need to change anyway so I will add that to my list to do this weekend and update y'all when done.

cheers
Are you saying that you filled the trans. WITHOUT the engine running the whole time?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Drifting
Talking Transmission

OK... the third time is a charm...well maybe fourth. I changed out my fluid and took it for a run. (filled while running) ops check good. fluid looked ok but i guess my transmission got picky. like i said it had been 30k since change.

I also took my scan guage and attached to my 09 toyota corolla. the Alt output numbers were almost identical. that being said it is what the computer is preceiving and not a number directly at the Alt... may differ some.

Well new Alt new Batt and new fluid... Guess its ready for the winch now. LoL

got to luv your rover!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Drifting
Wink Transmission

Read my post and it confused me! LoL... meant filled while engine was running and then drove.

Cheers

Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zieselp
Read my post and it confused me! LoL... meant filled while engine was running and then drove.

Cheers
Oh, you should be all good then!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Drifting
Talking Transmission

Well,

My problem came back so its not the fluid... That being said Disco Mike and I talked and the next cource of action is the transmission shop... seem to be an electrical problem. I dropped the rover at the transmission shop this morning and waiting for their diagnosis.

Will keep y'all posted on what is found since this is such a unique issue.

Cheers.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Drifting
Smile Transmission

Ok folks I finely found my issue. After having a transmission shop looked at it and a indy also but could not find the issue. I had to take on the project of finding my issue myself. long story short as I was in the process of installing my 04 CDL I found the issue. It was a frayed harness i.e. the hi/lo detection switch on the transfer case. it somehow migrated down and chafed on the front drive shaft.

Thanks all for your input

Cheers