Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission filter???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission filter???

I am getting ready to do a 90k mile service on my '02 DII. My shop manual on CD shows only changing the fluid (no mention of the filter) in the transmission at 90k miles as does the maintenance manual with the truck. However, I have heard some (including Atlantic British) speak of needing to change the transmission filter with the fluid. AB sells this kit with the new gasket and such. Is this really necessary or is simply a fluid change good? I'd like to change the fluid on my own, but don't know about tackling that filter on my own. Thoughts?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you change your oil without replacing the oil filter ?

The Auto box filter is only called at first 24,000 miles, BUT imo as the vehicle ages and mileage grows, its DEF worthwhile task.

This should help, its pretty straightforward to be honest

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Autobox_Oil.html

Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If the factory did your 30K, the filter was replaced then. Depending on how hard the truck is driven would determine the next change, I usually recommend at 120K, earlier sure won't hurt.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you know for a fact from Land rover service records or have written proof that it's been done, be safe and do it. Kit is relatively cheap and job easy.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

O agree with Panzer, why not do it?
It wont hurt anything and you will get more of the old fluid out that way.
Change the fluid every 30k and the filter every 60k.
So now you do the fluid and filter, at 120k do the fluid, at 150 do the filter again and so on.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Hello -- I've read the write-up posted above (link: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Autobox_Oil.html ) and have two questions about the transmission filter change procure. I have a 2003 Discovery.

1) With regards to the last part of the write-up:
Then with your second person in the car, start the car and allow it to IDLE with the footbrake applied at ALL times, then whilst CONTINUING to fill the box, get the person in the car to move the selector through ALL the positions from "P" down to "1" and back up to "P" again.

Hold it in each position for a second or so, once the box is back in "P" continue to fill the fill the box until it overflows with a 2mm bead of oil from the fill hole, stop pumping and refit the fill plug, switch off the engine and that's it job done. Torque the fill plug to 30NM or 22LBS/ft.
I'm kind-of freaked out about the idea of being under the car with it running while trying to top off the ATF. I was planning on having the Discovery up on 4 jackstands, but still...

So my question is: is there another way to do this that would still work without my needing to be under the car while it's running? Maybe something like fill it, turn on the engine for 30 seconds, turn off and fill it some more, then turn on the engine for another 30 seconds. etc etc.?

2) Do you guys use a torque wrench for this? I have a torque wrench that I use for my lug nuts, but it's probably not accurate enough for the lower ratings listed for the transmission pan. I'll need to go buy another one if these torque ratings are important.

As for #1, I know, I know... I'm a wimp. But hey, at least I'm getting greasy giving it a try

Thanks in advance,

Ed (RedAustinIX)

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
So my question is: is there another way to do this that would still work without my needing to be under the car while it's running? Maybe something like fill it, turn on the engine for 30 seconds, turn off and fill it some more, then turn on the engine for another 30 seconds. etc etc.?
I've done it the correct way and also by starting the truck shifting through the gears and turning it off and topping off and cycling through this process a few times. You will get maybe 1/3 quart more in doing it the proper way.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Hello -- I've read the write-up posted above (link: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Autobox_Oil.html ) and have two questions about the transmission filter change procure. I have a 2003 Discovery.

1) With regards to the last part of the write-up:
Then with your second person in the car, start the car and allow it to IDLE with the footbrake applied at ALL times, then whilst CONTINUING to fill the box, get the person in the car to move the selector through ALL the positions from "P" down to "1" and back up to "P" again.

Hold it in each position for a second or so, once the box is back in "P" continue to fill the fill the box until it overflows with a 2mm bead of oil from the fill hole, stop pumping and refit the fill plug, switch off the engine and that's it job done. Torque the fill plug to 30NM or 22LBS/ft.
I'm kind-of freaked out about the idea of being under the car with it running while trying to top off the ATF. I was planning on having the Discovery up on 4 jackstands, but still...

2) Do you guys use a torque wrench for this? I have a torque wrench that I use for my lug nuts, but it's probably not accurate enough for the lower ratings listed for the transmission pan. I'll need to go buy another one if these torque ratings are important.

As for #1, I know, I know... I'm a wimp. But hey, at least I'm getting greasy giving it a try

Thanks in advance,

Ed (RedAustinIX)
If the car is up on 4 stands, then there will be LOTS of room for you under there to

If your pumping the oil in via a small pump like I did, simply extend the hose to keep you out from underneath then you'll only need to go under to check /look at the level and to finally refit the plugs, you cannot turn the car off as the oil thats "in the system" will run back to the sump and overflow out the fillplug and you'll waste it, it needs to be running at all times to get the level correct

As far as the torque wrench goes, well having one is best imo, BUT using some common sense and even "feeling" how tight they are when you un do them is enough for when you refit them imo

I have / want to include the correct torque figures on my webpage write ups so its correct, I "try" to create the "idiots" guide so someone who has never done it, can have a go if they know which end of a spanner does what...... and it also avoids people (as they do) contact me to flame ref a poor job etc, or lots of questions ref what is the correct setting etc. If I keep it correct it "covers my ***" if that makes sense.

Ed Im sure you will be fine and enjoy doing the jobs on your Disco

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 09-04-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, I'm almost done with transmission fluid and filter change. Thanks to everyone for answering my previous questions.

I do have one last question about the last fill-up step. With my wife at the wheel, I pumped transmission fluid into the sump while she ran it through the gears. When it was time to take out the pump hose and put in the fill plug, I noticed a lot of transmission fluid coming out of the fill hole. I realized that the pump hose was probably allowing the sump to fill higher than the hole because it was blocking a lot of the fill hole.

So my question (the short version): is it possible to overfill the transmission sump? If so, should I start up the car again, pull the fill plug, and wait for it to get to a 2mm bead of overflow?

Urban -- thanks so much for your detailed write-up. Thanks to you, I was able to follow through all of the steps and get everything done!

Thanks,
RedAustinIX

Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You are fine.

Quick Reply: Transmission filter???