Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission fluid change?

I just changed my transmission fluid and filter for 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD. I'm 23 and a newb to being a DIY mechanic....

The pan is up and fluid is running thru the system. 1 of the six metal holding devices that you put 1 of 6 10mm screws in broke in half and on a different section 1 of 6 screws snapped in half and only 1/2 of the shaft is left inside of the hole. There is no way to clamp or get this shaft out that I know of and a craftsman 10mm drill bit designed for broken shafts failed greatly.

This is the first time I changed transmission fluid or filter. On top of this I developed a transmission fluid leak, possibly because I over turned the screws. Questions:

1. Do I need to buy a new transmission pan and new gasket + retorque to factory settings 7.082 foot pounds? Or do I only need new gasket and retorque to 7.082 foot pounds? Or do I only need to retorque to 7.082 foot pounds. I changed 4 days ago.

2. Where can I buy the 1 of 6 holding pieces (will dealerships have?) and 6 new screws (that are not rusty)?

3. I bought the auto with 52k miles.

I have done front + rear differential fluid change + transfer case, changed spark plugs and changing wires this weekend, changed power steering fluid, added new coolant hoses, changed headgaskets, changed upper valve gaskets, changed coolant obviously, did Seafoam treatment in the engine and added 1 quart to the gas tank half full (lots of smoke) resetting the misfire code tomorrow morning might change spark plugs but from what I read I do not have to that is normal and will go away itself, cleaned throttle body.

added custom bumper with brush guard and off road fogs with hella cover, added 800lb. Warn winch will be weld tapping its' bolts on to the bumper soon, new tires, premium security system, remote start, a 1500$ JVC radio, rear view reverse camera placed in the O of the discovery on the rear, front bumper skid plate (adding soon is sitting in trunk), breaks are good, and currently rotate tires every oil change every 3k with Mobil 1 15,000 miles and mobil 1 filter. Also the amigos show up 1 day out of every 3 months.

I know I need an air filter, wondering what else this auto needs to run great. I read that the drive shafts need lubed every 5k (I still need to learn). I now have 61k engine miles.

Any advice on what else I should do on my auto and where I can buy these screws for coolant pan and the coolant pan holders and recommendation for what I should replace to fix this leak before I change is greatly appreciated (I could not find online).

Last edited by dustinvonholten; 09-15-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I have to get to work, so I don't have time to answer all questions, but the funky aluminum spacer things the bolts go through are available from the dealer (they might have to order). The ones on the corners are different from the ones on the sides. You will need to remove the broken bolt, or you are going to have a leak. You can get the bolts from the dealer, or pick up some at a hardware store. Drop the pan again, check the gasket and pan surface: if they are damaged from over tightening, you may be able to hammer or press the pan flat again, but I would recommend a new gasket if it's damaged.

If the spacer thingy is one of the ones on the side, not the corners, I have an extra. Let me know and I can probably mail it to you for what I paid when I bought it (wholesale).

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, that question was answered, have you rebuilt your front drive shaft yet and do you know how to check the tranny fluid level and fill it?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2: You can get some grade 8 or stainless steel bolts at any auto store or hardware store to replace those rusty ones. Just take a sample with you and ask for some help.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
5th Gear

Disco Mike,

You sure have a lot of time on your hands as the # of posts have indicated. I can't thank you enough for your knowledge and time to respond to all the questions asked.

My question is this: Now I know about vehicles as my father always said "come son, you must learn how to fix your own vehicles" and many a day I have spent underneath them..... I have a 2003 SE7 Discovery with 101,000 miles on her. Everytime I move off from a stop and the transmission changes the truck shudders, when the transmission changes again into third you feel a slight shudder again. I thought the transmission must be low on fluid so I looked under the hood for the Transmission dipstick. Where the hell is it. I checked in the manual and cant seem to locate it either. How do you check the Fluid level in the transmission???

Thanks mahn....

Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alfa_romeo55
Disco Mike,

You sure have a lot of time on your hands as the # of posts have indicated. I can't thank you enough for your knowledge and time to respond to all the questions asked.

My question is this: Now I know about vehicles as my father always said "come son, you must learn how to fix your own vehicles" and many a day I have spent underneath them..... I have a 2003 SE7 Discovery with 101,000 miles on her. Everytime I move off from a stop and the transmission changes the truck shudders, when the transmission changes again into third you feel a slight shudder again. I thought the transmission must be low on fluid so I looked under the hood for the Transmission dipstick. Where the hell is it. I checked in the manual and cant seem to locate it either. How do you check the Fluid level in the transmission???

Thanks mahn....
Did you read the how to stickies? They are there for a reason.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Winching

Head to Lowes and get the smallest Easy Out drill bit. Kobalt sells them. Along with 8 new 10mm bolts as Bundu suggested and some washers (Lowes size M6 I think is the thread size you want).

Your gonna have to get the broken bolt out first and foremost. And you want to take your time on this. It's the most important fix here.

1.) Take a very small drill bit and drill up into the center of the broken bolt itself. Do not go deep, just get a hole started as close as u can to the center etc. Your trying to keep the bit/hole in the existing broken bolt only, you do not want to hit the case threading on the sides etc.

2.) Insert the Easy Out bit into the small hole you just drilled into the broken bolt, turn it a few times to get it tight, then back it out. It should bring the broken bolt out with it.

Take your time, you can do it.

And yeah these 10mm bolts that hold the transmission pan can go bad, esp when they are 8-10 years old. I broke one off putting my pan back on if it makes you feel any better. lol

When you put everything back on remember to not over tighten the bolts. They hardly need any torq at all. They should of been very easy to remove to begin with etc.
________
*** GRAB

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't break that easy out off in the hole or you will be hard pressed to drill it. I don't have much luck with easy outs since they are all made in china these days with poor metallurgy/heat treatment. Try to find a USA made set. You may be better off drilling the hole out a tapping it.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You may be better off drilling the hole out a tapping it.
He can get it out with a small Easy Out. These old OEM bolts are not very strong, you can drill into them pretty easy, at least I could. And the bolt is not tight. That's the key here, it's just broke.

Just drill a small hole and get the Easy Out started, dont drive it deep. It will snag and pull it right out.

I am not a big fan of drilling out the hole and tapping it on a fluid pan (oil, tran, etc) unless it's just the very last resort. Just opens the door for more leakage problems down the road.
________
Los angeles dispensaries

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when fluid runs out of the fill plug the tranny is full....

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change?