Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
BIG
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues

Alright, 03 Disco...first, second, and third shift great everytime. But it won't shift into fourth all the time. Sometimes everything is fine, and other times there is nothing I can do to get it to shift. I changed the fluid and filter 7k ago. No leaks, fluid level is where it needs to be. I"ve checked all the things I know to check. It doesn't seem like it's going out, or I would have had problems with another gear by now. Anyone have any ideas? It doesn't slip. It just won't shift. It acts like it's low on fluid, but as I said, it's not. I normally drive in town only and have been looking at causes for poor mileage. I think this is the answer.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds a lot like a stuck governor valve, but your description doesn't mention if this just started all at once or has become worse over time.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ansrepair.html

Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
BIG
Drifting

Thanks for the reply. It just started. I noticed when I let my girlfriend drive. We went to the store in the rover again just awhile ago and I let her drive. Apparently, She thought the 3 was where it needed to be to "make it go forward". Needless to say I feel somewhat embarrased about the entire situation. I got in and drove, putting it in the correct gear and guess what, no problems. Thank you very much for replying. I tried to delete this post but couldn't find a spot to remove it. If there is a moderator reading this please save me the embarrasment.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Any fault codes, how did you refill and check your fluid level?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
BIG
Drifting

No codes, just a girlfriend that doesn't understand the difference between "D" and "3". There are no problems when you actually put the trans in drive.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice to get have a simple answer sometimes, but as Mike said, double check how you refilled your transmission fluid. The D2 is a little different as Mike point out to me a few months back. There is a sticky with note, you may want to double check the final fill to make sure you did that step and have it completely full.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Hijack: Every other car I've ever driven allowed you to shift the auto, without holding the button,

R->N->D

and

D->N

As opposed to the LRs D<->3.

Am I the only one who prefers it that way? If not, what piece of metal would need to be remachined in the shifter quadrant to make it work that way?

It's particularly irritating because *the owners manual actually suggests* that you might want to sit at lights in neutral (which I do), but to *get* there, you have to push the button, which will let you accidentally shift in to reverse, while still rolling (which I have).

Anyone ever had their shifter quadrant apart far enough to know how this is controlled there?

Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM
BIG
Drifting

She's no rocket scientist. In fact, she's not very smart at all. And I'm not very happy. I checked the fluid while at operating temp on level ground with the engine running. I'll take it to he shop (where it's warm) today and check the way mike described by using the check/fill plug on the pan. I'll let you know. Thanks