Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues?

I'm a newbie here. I have a 1999 Discovery II and I love this thing. But the more I drive it, the more issues I find with it. The most recent has me puzzled. It started out with a "slipping" in 4th gear. Mainly on hills and around 45 mph. My girlfriend was going to be driving it and said she wanted to change the spark plugs to see if it fixed it. And yes, it needed them, but I didn't think it would do a thing to it. Low and behold, the issue was gone! But about a week later, it developed a new "slipping" issue. If you start out from a stop, it will feel like it's in neutral. The engine revs, but it goes no where. Then it engages and goes like normal. It will also jump forward in reverse sometimes. And it does not always do it. It seems to have plenty of power after it does it, like there was never a problem. I am thinking the XYZ switch is dirty since that is a common problem, but wouldn't the M+S lights come on? Or is there anything else that I should be looking at. I'm hoping for an easy fix, but something is telling me this is a very bad issue... :/ Any help would be appreciated and that k you in advance!

jerm

Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxr84
I'm a newbie here. I have a 1999 Discovery II and I love this thing. But the more I drive it, the more issues I find with it. The most recent has me puzzled. It started out with a "slipping" in 4th gear. Mainly on hills and around 45 mph. My girlfriend was going to be driving it and said she wanted to change the spark plugs to see if it fixed it. And yes, it needed them, but I didn't think it would do a thing to it. Low and behold, the issue was gone! But about a week later, it developed a new "slipping" issue. If you start out from a stop, it will feel like it's in neutral. The engine revs, but it goes no where. Then it engages and goes like normal. It will also jump forward in reverse sometimes. And it does not always do it. It seems to have plenty of power after it does it, like there was never a problem. I am thinking the XYZ switch is dirty since that is a common problem, but wouldn't the M+S lights come on? Or is there anything else that I should be looking at. I'm hoping for an easy fix, but something is telling me this is a very bad issue... :/ Any help would be appreciated and that k you in advance!

jerm
could be low fluid, bad valve block, shot torque converter. Have you service the transmission lately? Heck it could be just low on fluid

Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
could be low fluid, bad valve block, shot torque converter. Have you service the transmission lately? Heck it could be just low on fluid
Yeah, we checked the fluid a couple weeks ago. It was less then half a quart low. But would low fluid make it lurch forward when going from Park to Reverse?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

It moves forward when you shift into reverse? That's sounds like a gummed up valve body

Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
It moves forward when you shift into reverse? That's sounds like a gummed up valve body

Thanks King Koopa, how does one go about fixing that issue?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You might get lucky with new fluid and detergent additive but you might need to remove the vb and rebuild it.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxr84

jerm
Had sort of that problem before when it seems like the gears won't change and the RPM hits really high before it kicks in for a long time. I just drained the fluid and change it and the filter too. It worked in my case, just hope its the same problem.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I also experienced same problem when I purchased mine, trans fluid & filter Change fixed mine as well, use MAXLIFE synthetic it has good cleaning power & withstands higher temp, when checking fluid don't forget it needs to be warmed up go trough gears & leave engine running then add fluid until it start drizzling out of fill plug, if checked with engine off then it will be about 2 quarts too low.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Firstly, spark plugs have sweet FA to do with the transmission playing up, believe me. It does sound like a dodgy torque converter or trans valve block but start with the simple stuff. Change the auto-transmission oil filter for a new one (probably never been done before) and refill with the recomended ATF but follow the RAVE procedure to ensure the maximum ATF fill up. If then you still have issues then start looking deeper into the auto-trans. The xyz switch is unlikely to be the cause unless you are confusing the 'limp home mode' (which is 3rd auto gear only) with a 'slipping' effect. However, the M&S lights would be flashing if in 'limp home mode'.

TIP: never let a woman drive your truck, they always create a problem with them

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 02-23-2017 at 01:37 PM.