Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil Temperature Light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011 | 06:19 PM
Team Owner

Sorry I mis understood your question.
The trans oil pan is the pan on the bottom of the transmission, it will look just like the pan in the pic.
Once that is removed (drain it first) the filter is right there, pretty self explanatory once you get in there.
Unbolt the filter and pull/wiggle straight down.
Just make sure you also get the old "O" ring out of the filter seat.
If you leave the old "O" ring in place the new filter will not go in all the way.

Old 06-14-2011 | 06:37 PM
|
Three Wheeling

THANKS!! That helps a lot, I was afraid I was gonna take the wrong thing off.

Old 06-14-2011 | 09:13 PM
Winching

Jeep be careful when you put the tranny pan back on (if you decide to change the filter). The bolts do not need to be tight at all (and they can be old/brittle since they are aluminum bolts). They can break. I broke one putting it back on working too fast and had to back it out with an easy out bit, then hit the hardware store and buy a set of new bolts. Just work slow. My cheap .02 advice from my lessons learned the hard way lol.

Old 06-14-2011 | 09:49 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by sloan74
Jeep be careful when you put the tranny pan back on (if you decide to change the filter). The bolts do not need to be tight at all (and they can be old/brittle since they are aluminum bolts). They can break. I broke one putting it back on working too fast and had to back it out with an easy out bit, then hit the hardware store and buy a set of new bolts. Just work slow. My cheap .02 advice from my lessons learned the hard way lol.
thanks you probabbly saved me there, I was gonna do it real quick tomorrow before work, but I guess I better wait until after work so i can take my time (and incase something goes wrong I won't be stuck)

Old 06-15-2011 | 08:18 AM
Winching

fill the tranny fluid up while the truck is running also. these trucks take a lot of tranny fluid. keep pumping it in until it starts to stream out (while the truck is running). then you are set. also get ready for some arm burns on the exhaust....I seem to somehow burn myself everytime I go up under there.....lol someday when I am rich and famous I will own a lift....

Old 06-15-2011 | 07:04 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Sorry I mis understood your question.
The trans oil pan is the pan on the bottom of the transmission, it will look just like the pan in the pic.
Once that is removed (drain it first) the filter is right there, pretty self explanatory once you get in there.
Unbolt the filter and pull/wiggle straight down.
Just make sure you also get the old "O" ring out of the filter seat.
If you leave the old "O" ring in place the new filter will not go in all the way.
I got under it today, but I had a problem. I tried to remove the filler plug first just to be sure i could get fluid back in, but IT WOULD NOT COME OFF!!! I couldn't get the filler screw to come unscrewed. I had the correct size allen wrench and everything, but it just wouldn't budge. Even with some WD-40. I guess I'm gonna have to take it to somebody Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2011 | 07:10 PM
Team Owner

Well, you have several options.
1-you can take it somewhere and have them replace the filter.
2-you can remove the pan, replace the filter and then work on getting the fill plug out.
3-you can use PB Blaster on the fill plug, let it soak in for 5 min or so before trying to remove the plug again.

WD-40 is not really a lube/penatrant, it was made for the Navy to coat deck guns with to prevent rust so it will not soak into the threads.
If you remove the pan with the fill plug still in you can get to the back side of the threads and worse case scenario you take the pan to a shop to have the fill plug removed.
I am assuming you have another car or can bum a ride.

Old 06-15-2011 | 07:32 PM
Winching

Do you have anything other than that small allen wrench? Perhaps an allen socket that you can attach to a 3/4 driver? It will come out, ya just need to out think it. Hit the store and grab an allen (hex) bit socket set and tap the right size in nice and tight so you don't strip it. Attach it to a 3/4 driver (or 1/2 breaker bar) and it will come right out. Once it's out drink a beer. That is mandatory.

Last edited by sloan74; 06-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2011 | 07:55 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by sloan74
Do you have anything other than that small allen wrench? Perhaps an allen socket that you can attach to a 3/4 driver? It will come out, ya just need to out think it. Hit the store and grab an allen (hex) bit socket set and tap the right size in nice and tight so you don't strip it. Attach it to a 3/4 driver (or 1/2 breaker bar) and it will come right out. Once it's out drink a beer. That is mandatory.
will do tomorrow. also, anybody know what size the torx screws that hold the filter in are?

Old 06-16-2011 | 08:49 AM
Winching

same size allen as the fill and drain bolts if I remember.

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil Temperature Light?