Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 01:37 PM
|
Drifting
Default Transmission Question

I have heard two different stories on changing the fluid in your transmission. Some say do it, some say don't it will mess up your transmission. Any thought or comments about this?

Old 04-10-2007 | 01:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Transmission Question

i would love to hear comments on this to. my mechanic is changing my transmission fluid on thursday before i leave for mexico. his attitude is to use the machine and change all 14 quarts with out dropping the pan and changing the filter?? says that the other way doesn't get as much changed. i'm in a 98 disco with 97k.

Old 04-10-2007 | 05:04 PM
Administrator

First do not flush a Rover tranny over 75,000 miles, you stand a good chance of killing it.
Second a Rover tranny takes a total of only 12 qts, 6 is you do a service and filter. You always service a trannty starting at every 30,000 and as it get older work down toward every 20,000 miles or it will die on you.
Mike

Old 04-10-2007 | 06:04 PM
Mudding

Mike,
Can you elaborate on the "do not flush" tranny fluid statement? Why not flush fluid on a 75K+ tranny?

What do you prescribe for healthy tranny upkeep? I believe my tranny recieved some TLC with the 60K servicing which was 8k ago.

PS- The OME HD springs rule. Love them. Thanks

Old 04-10-2007 | 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy

I think I might be able to save Mike a post...

High mileage tranny's stand more of a chance of dislodging junk that will mess it up. Plus, if the shop you are using doesn't COMPLETELY clean the machine, you get the crap from the last junker in your car. A lot of people have their tranny's flushed at the first sign of problems.

Do the service at the intervals herecommended earlier, and add a bottle of Lucas tranny additive when changing the fluid.

Old 04-10-2007 | 07:35 PM
Administrator

" YUP "
Mike

Old 04-10-2007 | 10:19 PM
Overlanding

You guys are right I dropped 4.5 liters of oil and a bottle of Lucas and the thing shifts like a caddy

Old 04-11-2007 | 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

High mileage tranny's stand more of a chance of dislodging junk that will mess it up. Plus, if the shop you are using doesn't COMPLETELY clean the machine, you get the crap from the last junker in your car. A lot of people have their tranny's flushed at the first sign of problems.

Do the service at the intervals herecommended earlier, and add a bottle of Lucas tranny additive when changing the fluid.
Well, I don't know if I can agree with this. For one the machine that changes the fluid hooks up externally to the oil cooler lines. As far as the transmission is concerned, there is nospikes in pressure, flow, etc... Could you elaborate why you think there is a chance that the process will "dislodge junk"?
Second, the machines have two tanks - one is the new ATF, the other isused ATF. There is no chance of getting "crap from the last junker" into your trans.

Having said that, I always change the ATF myself (6 quarts at a time) only because I don't want to pay a shop to do the change.

Piotr

Old 04-11-2007 | 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't have a flush machine, and have never used one, I am just going off what I have heard from numerous people. Unless there are 2 different sets of hoses, there is a chance of getting bad stuff in the tranny. Just my opinion and recommendation. You can google it and see for yourself what you think. Talk to the Land Rover factory, not your local dealer and see what the recommended interval for a transmission flush is.....
PS, there isn't one. The dealer will tell you that you need it, but the factory does not say to do it.

I agree with what you say, depending on what type of flush machine they use. If they drop the pan and use the inlet to flow the new fluid and let the tranny pump move the fluid, you might be ok, but if you have not changed your fluid, or there is a problem, you are just asking for it to go out sooner as the deposits might be "holding something together".

I am a gearhead, and work on my own car. I can't afford the pump, but I use synthetic. It is compatible with all fluids, and I plan on draining the pan every 10K until I have mostly new oil in. Not everyone can do this, or afford to use that much oil.

Lastly, I have seen Mike recommend not to do it, that is enough for me.

Old 04-12-2007 | 01:43 PM
Winching

Here's a third shout from the crowd,
Mike & OK are absolutely correct, since the mid '60s when I started wrenching, I've seen both success and horror stories associated with high mileage trans flushing.

Some of us may or may not take the chance of dislodging the inevitable deposits in a transmission with mileage. Is it worth the risk?

New trans fluid is highly detergent, I'd prefer also to a more contolled gradual replacement.
It might not take much to jam up a small pasageway or stick open a valveseat in your trans.
I personally won't take the risk given the cost.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question