Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Removal Realistic for a Shade Tree Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Transmission Removal Realistic for a Shade Tree Mechanic?

My rear main seal needs to be done, and I also need to reseal the transfer case where it mates to the transmission. So I am considering removing the transmission and doing both at the same time.

I would need to purchase a motorcycle jack to do the job, but that is far cheaper than the 9 hours to pay a mechanic to do it.

It would be my first time removing a tranny and I am wondering if it is better just to pay someone or if I can do this myself, with some help possibly. I would like to do some cleaning up with the frame and rust inhibiting/recoating with it out.

Any experiences to share?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I’ve done it by myself with a D2 still sitting on the ground (only jacked it up to roll out the Trans/TC). It’s not a super hard job, but I’d remove the TC from the TC first, then remove the transmission. Bell housing bolts can be a PITA, but that is about the hardest part. I attacked it over a weekend and took my time. I used a transmission jack with little blocks of wood to make it sit evenly when I lowered it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
CollieRover (08-27-2019), Richard Gallant (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I’ve done it by myself with a D2 still sitting on the ground (only jacked it up to roll out the Trans/TC). It’s not a super hard job, but I’d remove the TC from the TC first, then remove the transmission. Bell housing bolts can be a PITA, but that is about the hardest part. I attacked it over a weekend and took my time. I used a transmission jack with little blocks of wood to make it sit evenly when I lowered it.
Thanks Best. I will plan on really taking my time. Maybe I will find a student from a Tech school/Mechanic that would assist for some dough. I may take the drivetrain out from Transmission to rear axle, and the Gas tank to attack the frame.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

May have to do this myself I have a tiny oil leak starting that looks like a rear main, @Best4x4 was the week in and out or 2 weekends ?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

i just dropped the t-case from my parts truck last weekend. i'm also taking my time to do it. i had the truck on ramps in the front and axle stands in the rear. there are a lot of fiddly connections to pay attention to, and i'm not looking forward to trying to get everything matched up and set up correctly when it comes to installing it in the newer truck.
i used a regular trolley jack with wood blocks to keep everything upright, but i wouldn't advise that. i guess there's actually a reason why transmission jacks exist.

i noticed that it's probably extremely easy to accidentally put too much lateral weight on the transmission output spline. i'm thinking of getting a couple of pieces of rod of the same diameter as the bolt holes in the transfer case and a little longer than the output spline, then cutting a thread on them so i can screw them into the transmission and they can act as guides and supports when i install the case again.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:47 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by mollusc
i just dropped the t-case from my parts truck last weekend. i'm also taking my time to do it. i had the truck on ramps in the front and axle stands in the rear. there are a lot of fiddly connections to pay attention to, and i'm not looking forward to trying to get everything matched up and set up correctly when it comes to installing it in the newer truck.
i used a regular trolley jack with wood blocks to keep everything upright, but i wouldn't advise that. i guess there's actually a reason why transmission jacks exist.

i noticed that it's probably extremely easy to accidentally put too much lateral weight on the transmission output spline. i'm thinking of getting a couple of pieces of rod of the same diameter as the bolt holes in the transfer case and a little longer than the output spline, then cutting a thread on them so i can screw them into the transmission and they can act as guides and supports when i install the case again.
Keep us posted!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

I did it over 2 days straight in the good old TX Heat. My body was fine, but I sunburned my legs pretty good lol It was just before Hurricane Harvey.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I did this recently and while I consider myself a decent mechanic I had never worked on a Rover driveline before and had to rely heavily on the RAVE. The good news is that the job is spelled out really well in there and overall it's not a hard job at all if you follow all the steps. A couple takeaways:

Removing the T/C may be a good idea. I did not do this because of the added complexity however the combo of the trans and T/C is HEAVY, and a bit unbalanced due to the shape of the whole affair. I would guess maybe 200lbs total. I'm still not sure I would separate them especially after comment about the weight on the trans output spline but be prepared for some serious weight.

Also, after I spent a good bit of time disconnecting switches and sensors (the fiddly connections referred to earlier) and cleared all the wiring off to the sides so I could lower the trans out of the truck I was left with a bit of an octopus dangling from the tunnel. This octopus disconnects from the main harness beneath the storage compartment in the console and I'm pretty certain I could have left the octopus connected to the trans which would have saved a couple hours of fiddling with rusty brackets and brittle plastic release buttons on the connectors. The O2 sensor wiring is tagged to the trans in a couple spots so those will still have to be dealt with but there are a bunch of others which I believe could have been left connected. I'll be repeating the job on the donor truck shortly and plan to try it this way.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

I never got anywhere near the trans output shaft after I removed the TC. I had a transmission jack & I lifted it/lowered it without ever putting a load on the transmission output shaft. When I removed the TC I took off the round plate, removed a gear pack & after that I had a lot of room to work with getting the TC out without putting any load on the transmission output at all.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-27-2019)