Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission or transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission or transfer case

Any helpful hints on diagnosing transfer case or transmission on my 99 disco 2 with 119k miles. I put it in N on transfer case and D on trans and nothing I heard, you can do that to see which one is broke. But it slaps real loud in D and R all the time and now it feels like your going over speed bumps until it gains speed then it smooths out and it stops when you let off the gas it just wines after you left off but the bumpiness goes away. Now just as you bck up it pops and jerks the whole vehicle I think it is the transfer case but I need to figure it out for sure before I buy one. Also when I put it in N on tranfer and in D or R on trans it does nothing no noise or anything. And the U joints don't look to bad I bought some to put in because all the rubber bushings ar gone off the stock ones but they seem pretty tight when you move the driveshaft but the driveshaft turns inside the transfer case about 1/3 a turn that is why is slaps so loud going in reverse or drive, I didn't know how normal that was for a rover.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: transmission or transfer case

This sounds to be a t/case issue, I know there are a number of TSB written by Rover for their mechanics describing t/case slop and how to test and repair it.
You do want to replace all your u-joints, especially on the front shaft to the t/case at the constant velicoty joint.
Let me know what you find on the t/case, I am curious.
Mike

Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Well the write up on the guy telling how to install the transfer case on a few posts down is really going to help. I bought a t/case and hopefully it will fix it but I am planning on installing it myself and putting in the U joints. I ordered the Rave Cd for free that will hopefully help too.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling

You could drain the oil out of the t-case, and see if there is a lot of metal shavings in there. The drain plug has a magnet.

1/3 of a turn is excessive - are you trying to turn it with the car on the ground? If so, you have a lot of slop in the front/rear differentials as well- this could be your problem, and not necesserily thet-case. Try lifting both axles, with the parking brake off, and tranny in park and turning both output flanges out of the t-case in the same direction - 1/8 of a turn seems about normal.

Piotr