Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission troubles

My Disco had been sitting in my front yard for about 2 years inactive. Mainly because I worked overseas and when I was home didn't want to work in the Florida heat to get it going again.

Recently, I decided I wanted to switch career paths so I Sold my avalanche and decided I would go back to driving my DII fulltime. I've had a 2004 Disco in my drive way since 2005 so it was no choice.

My commute is not a long one. but I wanted to make sure I had a reliable truck so I put in a new battery (red top Optima), new front drive shaft (Lucky8), change out all the steering components (pump, box, and hoses), new brake lines with braided steel extended lines, new fuel pump, service transmission (changed filter), low temp thermostat, new 275/65/r18 Cooper Discoverer tires, new front calipers and brake pads up front, new rear rotors on their way, flex coupler, and new radiator. Everything went smooth with all the repairs... until yesterday.

I got the radiator back together and while driving the hose burst off of the trans oil cooler. I was on the freeway. I pull over and check all the fluids. Everything is fine, coolant, brake, and power steering. For some reason I knew what it was. I look down towards the trans oil cooler. The hose was disconnected. I was having difficulty removing this spring clamp from the trans oil cooler as I havent had to deal with this type of AC hose connection before so I made sure to get this hose on nice and tight....

I connect the hose and drive down the road at a conservative speed the whole time thinking how stupid it is to be driving it. I didn't notice anything. The transmission was still shifting fine and no overheating. I get home and let it cool off a bit. I try and put some ATF in the pan. Once it is topped off the coffee dark brown ATF pours out. After I top it off I get in and try and run it through the gears with my foot on the brake. P - nothing unusual happens except it is idling high R- runs fine for 2 seconds then starts to bog down D - same thing. N - same as park.

So did I fry my transmission beyond DIY repair? Should I keep trying to top it off with ATF? No codes are showing. Prior to this I had my reservations about the transmissions condition it felt some what sluggish and didnt shift as smoothly as my first Disco. So maybe it was just time for the tranny to get replaced anyhow.

Last edited by BMF175; 08-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Instead of topping off, I would drop the pan and replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid. Then see how it does and go from there.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,166 Likes on 841 Posts

Since you just recently changed the filter and fluid...l'd just change the fluid. Plus, when doing a fluid/filter change...once reassembled...you have to fill the pan, then start it up and run it through the gears, then while still running, add more fluid until it pours out of the fill hole in a small diameter stream (rover has to be on level surface). Both of my Dll's took about two or three more quarts, after running them through the gears and refilling while running.

So, if you didn't do this the first time...you may have been running it low on fluid all along.

Hopefully, you didn't burn up the clutch plates.

Brian.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Since you just recently changed the filter and fluid...l'd just change the fluid. Plus, when doing a fluid/filter change...once reassembled...you have to fill the pan, then start it up and run it through the gears, then while still running, add more fluid until it pours out of the fill hole in a small diameter stream (rover has to be on level surface). Both of my Dll's took about two or three more quarts, after running them through the gears and refilling while running.

So, if you didn't do this the first time...you may have been running it low on fluid all along.

Hopefully, you didn't burn up the clutch plates.

Brian.
X1 ................ agreed.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I recently did my 02 Kalahari’s transmission filter/fill and it was actually a quart low. It shifts excellent now. Fluid that came out wasn’t burnt (little dark), and I had next to nothing on the magnet in the pan. Not bad for 235k on that transmission!

Grabbed the filter/gasket kit from Auto Zone, but I actually kept my OEM larger O-ring as the one in the kit for the larger one was not the same size (slightly smaller thickness).

Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling

235K is great! My first Disco had about 210k tell the accident and I never had any issues with that truck.

so I added the ATF and added as much as I could. And now it will go through though all the gears with out bogging down and shutting off.
Drove it around the block and seems to be no worse for wear. Let’s hope no permanent damage was incurred in this situation.
Now I will always have that damn hose coming off in the back of my mind from now on. I pushed it on as hard as I could without damaging the pipe that connects to
the trans cooler.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Yep took her to Galveston, TX today.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-22-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,166 Likes on 841 Posts

Up north and back...about 500 miles. Granted, mine is just a baby with 140K...lol.

Glamor shot!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Nice ride Deputy!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Transmission troubles