Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Won't Engage w/o E-brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 12:20 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Won't Engage w/o E-brake

2003 Discovery ll

Was driving home tonight and the Disco tried to stop on its own. Bunch of lights on the dash, flashing red LED, SRS, Brake light, etc... She literally locked up, like someone slammed on the brakes.

Turned her off and on again. Engine is fine. But the transmission won't engage. I put her in 'park' and she rolls like she's in nuetral. Drive, 3rd, 2nd, 1st... The engine revs but no go.

Until I apply the E-brake. If I pull tight on the e-brake she'll move in whatever gear she's in.

What is going on? I bought her in Arizona and now stuck in Texas. Need advice!

EDIT: Makes a loud grinding noise when I put it in Drive. Goes nowhere.

Last edited by Jason Spelts; 08-29-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Sounds like a front C/V joint came apart. Or a differential failed. Hope it's the first one.

Have someone look at the front drive shaft and C/V joints while you put it in drive with the e brake on. If the front shaft starts turning, look at C/V joints. If they aren't turning, most likely the diff.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-29-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Going to be difficult to do that - I'm in Houston and don't know anyone here!

As an added bonus - she will coast in Park. I literally rolled back a 1/4 mile with the shifter in "P"

Old 08-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Front drive shaft still in one piece? I'm in Beaumont, TX btw. It kinda sounds like a TC that's internally failed due to lack of 80/90w. You'd be surprised how many LR's I get a hold of with next to nothing inside the TC's.

Last edited by Best4x4; 08-29-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Yeah, I was just underneath her and the drive shafts all look good to me.

Not sure what I can do with her, broke until Friday (unemployment) and I have little more than a socket set. Most of what you wrote about the transfer case is Greek to me, I may be in over my head on this. Was hoping to get her back to AZ but now I have no idea what to do with her.

Old 08-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Where exactly are you broken down in Houston, TX? Does the dash PRND321, indicator match what is selected on the shifter itself? It sure sounds TC related to me. Because if you pull the ebrake and it wants to move you are basically tricking the TC into thinking the rear wheels have a load on them vs free spinning. I'd be looking at the rotoflex coupling to make sure it hasn't blown up (rubber ring in front of the rear diff which acts as your U joint). You could jack the rear end off the ground and see if when you spin a wheel the other side spins in the other direction. If the opposite side doesn't spin at all either you've got a broken shaft or pinion gears. You can do the same for the front diff to verify nothing is blown up or broken up there. If everything at each end axle wise seems fine = Transfer Case

Last edited by Best4x4; 08-29-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:07 PM
Drifting

I'm near the corner of Post Oak and Memorial Drive, right next to Memorial Park.

Yes, the indicator matches the gear selection. Two red dots next to the shifter for PRND321.

Looks like I'm stuck until Friday but will get some jacks then and try spinning the wheels. I'll try to find the rotoflex coupling you mentioned after I find somewhere to charge my phone.

LOL to top everything off I just replaced the fuel pump and CPS, used the remainder of my savings so my phone gets cut off today. Hope I can find wifi somewhere near here!

Old 08-29-2020, 02:09 PM
Drifting

As I don't have a place to work on this, or the tools (plus it's parked on the side of the road), I'm considering selling it. The engine is still strong and it'd make for a good Disco for someone with a garage or yard to fix it.

I got screwed on this. Paid $2k, then dumped in another $1k. I'll be lucky to even get a third of that money back.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:01 AM
Drifting

She is officially for sale. Link is here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...62/#post741388

Old 08-31-2020, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

If it will only run when the park brake is engaged then your rear end let go. Most likely the spider gears in the rear diff, possibly the ring and pinion, maybe even an axle. My money is on the spider gears. With the park brake engaged it is allowing you to drive on the front end.

This would be a 3 or 4 hour job to fix simply by removing the rear 3rd member and dropping a new one in out of a junk yard truck.

Quick Reply: Transmission Won't Engage w/o E-brake