Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Won't Shift When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Won

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

The reason its "holding" on is because the governor in the tranny is likely to be partially blocked up with crud, probably due to lack of servicing, as the box warms up, the oil gets thinner and can manage to get around ok, so the box shifts as normal. Poor condition (old / burnt / contaminated) ATF fluid will have the same symptoms as well.

I would suggest you change the box fluid and filter with a "cheaper" fluid, and run the truck for 2 or 3 hundred miles. Then chnage the oil and filter again with a higher spec / proper fluid.

ATF fluid is detergent based, so it will "clean" the box out, how ever quite often the problem can get worse as more "free" dirt cleaned / loosened by the new fluid blocks it up even further. So be prepared to need a new tranny, But its DEF worth trying a fluid / filter change flush first..
That is the reason I have never done the tranny fluid, even though it smells burned, because I have always been told in high mileage cars, if you don't know it's history, to just let it be.

The First change I plan to change the filter, and drain through the drain plug.

So Should I do a really good flush getting all the old stuff out by unhooking the cooler lines, the second time?

And the other problem is that if I need a new tranny, I'm not getting one... I'd end up with a different car, as I so not think I would have the skills to replace it, are the risks so great that I should just live with it, since it only happens in the cold? Will it ever get much worse?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just drain, change fluid and filter and drive as mentioned earlier. I would definitely NOT do a flush. That will cause problems. I think dislodging the sludge a little at a time is your best option at this time.

BTW I am not sure what your mechanical skills are but swapping an auto trans is not as difficult as you may think. I would even ask around to get quotes just for a swap if you buy a trans.

Best of luck.

Fred

Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I tried to reply to you some more last night but the forum wouldnt let me.
What you were told about never servicing a auto trans is false, if it were a $500 winter beater, ok, but not on your daily driver.
Change the fluid, drive it for a week and then change the filter. That is a PIA on a DI.
If it still does it after that then you need a new tranny.
You can pick up a used DI trans for $300-$500, have someone install it for you and you are looking to spend a $1,000.
Sounds expensive but it is alot less than a new car.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling

Would it be beneficial to replace the filter on both changes, or only the second?

I do not think I will end up getting a new tranny, but if I do I will be installing it myself.

I would end up pulling it off of a discovery in a junkyard so I would get some practice, but if it comes to that, i'm just not sure

It would be cool to do this because I would be able to take the old one apart and learn a couple of things, be able to physically see the problem, etc.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Won't Shift When Cold

ORIGINAL: Spike555

you WILL blow it up.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: tomfraser

Would it be beneficial to replace the filter on both changes, or only the second?

I do not think I will end up getting a new tranny, but if I do I will be installing it myself.

I would end up pulling it off of a discovery in a junkyard so I would get some practice, but if it comes to that, i'm just not sure

It would be cool to do this because I would be able to take the old one apart and learn a couple of things, be able to physically see the problem, etc.
No, only change the filter once, it is a huge PIA to do so you dont want to do it more than you have to.
You will need to drop the Y-pipe, remove the transcooler lines from the trans all before you can drop the sump from the transmission to even get to the filter.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I guess thats a good thing, as I've needed an excuse to fix my exhuast anyways...

I'm gonna get rid of the cats as they rattle (and my O2 sensors are before them, none after),

Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have to assume that the tranny fluid has never been changed, as no other fluids had been.

This means the filter has probably never been changed.

Is it simple, just a tedious job to change the filter? Should I?

I think that I would need to change the fluid, drive for 2 or 3 days, then change again, since it has not been changed either ever, or for a LONG time

Any thoughts?

Also... what other things could be causing this?
[/quote]
Do a fluid and filter change now and a drain and fill in a week or you may loose your tranny.
As for why it is sticking in 1st. gear, most likely the govenor is sticking, if you are lucky, it may free itself up after a couple of quick fluid changes.
Might consider using Vavolines high mileage Dextron 3 because of your mileage.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Do a fluid and filter change now and a drain and fill in a week or you may loose your tranny.
As for why it is sticking in 1st. gear, most likely the govenor is sticking, if you are lucky, it may free itself up after a couple of quick fluid changes.
Might consider using Vavolines high mileage Dextron 3 because of your mileage.

going to buy the tranny fluid now,

I look at the system and I believe that I will not get all of the fluid out... when I change the fluid the second time should I change the fluid using the cooling lines? Or just get out all I can from the drain and dropping the sump?

I appreciate the replies... i'm learning as I go so every input is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

No,
do a filter change the first time and a couple hundred miles later just do a drain and fill.
Don't do any sort of chemical flush, you have too many miles on the tranny, it will kill it.
Stay away from the tranny lines, you are only going to be able to drain off a little under 6 quarts at a time.
Have doing this stay away from reving up the engine over 3500 rpms, don't want to have the governor to lock up and blow some hard parts.

Quick Reply: Transmission Won't Shift When Cold