Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Treadwrights and balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Treadwrights and balancing

I got all 5 of my new 245/75/16 Wardens mounted and balanced. They all took a lot of weights. For those of you with treadwrights what was your experience? I'm considering putting balance media in the tires as I don't like having all the weights on my wheels.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've spent essentially a lifetime in the tire mounting and balancing business. The need for large amounts of weight to balance could indicate any and all of several things.
1. Wheels improperly mounted on tire balancing machine. Did you do the work yourself? Are you sure this is not and issue?
2. Inferior or "old technology" equipment. I wish I could elaborate more on some relatively recent software developments, but dare not. Suffice to say a conventional "static balance" or "one plane" balance in the hands of a competent operator on a spin balancer can greatly reduce the amount of required weight, without noticeably affecting balance or ride quality.
3. Last and worst: a true need need for excessive weight indicates either a poorly made tire, or a poorly made wheel. Did the previous tire require a large amount of weight? This might narrow it down to the wheels.

I wish you well. Have them "static balanced" at a shop which uses equipment made by a company which formerly had a logo featuring a hunter afield with his dog and gun.
Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Mudding

The original tires did not have excessive weights. I am very suspect of the shop that did the work. I questioned their equipment and asked if periodic calibrations were performed. It sucks to have to pay another shop to find out if they were right. What about balancing beads? do you have any advice on those?

Originally Posted by NickAdams
I've spent essentially a lifetime in the tire mounting and balancing business. The need for large amounts of weight to balance could indicate any and all of several things.
1. Wheels improperly mounted on tire balancing machine. Did you do the work yourself? Are you sure this is not and issue?
2. Inferior or "old technology" equipment. I wish I could elaborate more on some relatively recent software developments, but dare not. Suffice to say a conventional "static balance" or "one plane" balance in the hands of a competent operator on a spin balancer can greatly reduce the amount of required weight, without noticeably affecting balance or ride quality.
3. Last and worst: a true need need for excessive weight indicates either a poorly made tire, or a poorly made wheel. Did the previous tire require a iamount of weight? This might narrow it down to the wheels.

I wish you well. Have them "static balanced" at a shop which uses equipment made by a company which formerly had a logo featuring a hunter afield with his dog and gun.
Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Regarding balancing beads, I personally would avoid them like the plague. In my personal opinion, they amount to the modern day equivalent of "snake oil." Think about it: You start diving the truck. A large quantity of "balance material" is located in the bottom of the air space inside the tire. Suddenly, by magic, some undiscovered-by-science force will allow this media to overcome centrifugal force, and distribute itself exactly where it needs to be to balance the tire/wheel combination.
Get to know a reputable shop well. I repeat, look for equipment manufactured by company with previous logo mentioned above. Maybe a non-Rover dealer, GM, Ford, what-have-you, where you have been before?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do not try and balance the Treadwrights by using a sealant, every time you hit a bump the stuff gets moved around and shake till it resettles.
How much weight did they use on your tires, did they balance the tires from both sides, did they balance the tires in one spot only or split it?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Mudding

It seems there are a lot of you running treadwrights. So what w your experience with balancing? Both good and bad. I think the shop I had balance mine is not up to par. I'm looking now for a good shop with Hunter balancing machines as I have read god thigs about it. so chime in guys and gals. If you have treadwrights that is.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(on a side note ShaggySE7, can you post some pics? I'd love to see what the 245/75/16 wardens look like with no lift, are you happy? thanks!)

Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So are you going to reply to my questions???
If you don't respond, there is no way we can help you.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

As far a balancing beads go. I have used them for over 3 years now. The powder that Expedition Exchange sells seems like it would not work. I have used Dynabeads. They are Ceramic little *****. I have used them both in Goodyear DuraTracs and AT Revo 2's. They seem to work well. I have not had wheel weights on my rims in 3 years. No vibrations

Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by caymandrew
(on a side note ShaggySE7, can you post some pics? I'd love to see what the 245/75/16 wardens look like with no lift, are you happy? thanks!)
Here she is! and yes I am happy with them. It won't be like this for long. I ordered the 2 in TF lift from lucky8.

Attached Thumbnails Treadwrights and balancing-wp_000125.jpg  

Quick Reply: Treadwrights and balancing