Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Dick Strikes Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Tricky Dick - Hub Bearings

So...decided to replace the rear rotors and pads tonight and found and caused some new issues.

1. Looking close I noticed that on both sides a fair amount of grease build up on the pads, caliper carrier. After pulling the rotor off, there was a good amount of grease on the inside where the rotor mates to the drive flange. Guessing that the hub bearings and the 'O' rings are shot.

I have never attempted to tackle this type of project and wondering if this will exceed my skill and tool set. Looking at exploded views, I am tempted to take a shot.

The Good news...this would explain the 3 amigos as the right rear sensor was soaked with grease and the icarsoft told me that that was the sensor saying there was an issue.

2. Also...I managed to strip the bolts for the caliper carrier to rear hub on both sides I need to find (4) new ones.

Last edited by Friday Night Disco; 01-18-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Dang you stripped all of them??
"F-it! These bolts are coming off with this SAE socket right now!"

Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Dang you stripped all of them??
"F-it! These bolts are coming off with this socket right now!"
We had a disagreement, they didn't want to come out and I decided with the right torx socket and mallet I could change their mind.

I won

Then I peed on them afterwards to teach them a lesson.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

For clarity, they are not supposed to be Torx, so either you know that but needed to use torx to get a bite after stripping them, or you stripped them because you used torx.

they are 12 point.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by abran
For clarity, they are not supposed to be Torx, so either you know that but needed to use torx to get a bite after stripping them, or you stripped them because you used torx.

they are 12 point.
Needed something to grip them after I stripped them using a 14mm socket (yes I know what you are thinking right about now)

Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Just making sure...

Old 01-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by abran
Just making sure...
I took a short cut and paid the price for not having the right tool, as the 14mm socket has worked before.

Now it will cost me $7.80 to replace them all from Atlantic British.

It also looks like it will cost me $247 to replace both rear hub bearings and hub flanges (includes sensor).

Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Besides using improper sockets (I mean who cares really I was jk) you are more than capable of replacing your hubs or anything else. I guess it mostly depends on your tool chest, willingness to drive to the store and buy the tools, chemicals, misc hardware, etc etc that the job requires and finally your level of patience and ability to slow down and mind every last detail. And obviously follow the steps as outlined in a workshop manual.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Besides using improper sockets (I mean who cares really I was jk) you are more than capable of replacing your hubs or anything else. I guess it mostly depends on your tool chest, willingness to drive to the store and buy the tools, chemicals, misc hardware, etc etc that the job requires and finally your level of patience and ability to slow down and mind every last detail. And obviously follow the steps as outlined in a workshop manual.
Buying all the parts today, going to take a shot at doing it (queue Eye of the Tiger music)

Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Buying all the parts today, going to take a shot at doing it (queue Eye of the Tiger music)
Coming from a die hard auburn fan, I know what you mean. Keep that tune going!!!!

Quick Reply: Tricky Dick Strikes Again