Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the trip from houston to seattle (with a few photos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the trip from houston to seattle (with a few photos)

Well, the trip went well, after a night of hard rain under the redwoods my rear right blinker went out (the plastic housing is damaged and lets in water) and my freshly installed battery gave me a scare one morning when it wouldn't start, luckily the only issue was a poor connection (my fault).

I only had to back down 1 mountain road when i found a gate at the top, luckily i was up to the challenge. the next mountain road we found ourselves on was oregon mountain road and the snow got deeper than i was willing to go through, since we were on a tight schedule and i wasn't wanting to lose an hour to recovery.

the only other close call was from driving on the beach of salton sea on the preservation side . . . there were some soft spots out there, and it would have been miserable to have gotten stuck.

CA roadside, i think somewhere along 120 west of Yosemite

prarie creek redwood state park, near the lost coast CA

oregon mountain road . . . thats the name of the road. or so i thought, here it is on google maps, 41°56'51.7798", -123°45'33.2597"

in the redwoods ca

yosemite

arizona

arizona

once again in arizona.

salton sea ca

ca roadside
the truck did its job just fine, and i didn't end up needing any tools or recovery devices, but was glad to have them.

joshua tree (at my campsite, just feet from the disco)

Last edited by echomike; 03-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great pictures!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Your truck looks like a Romper. How was the highway driving with that 3" lift? Looks like you found some sweet back roads. Curious about your MPG, did it suffer that much with the bigger tires? Mine has been holding steady at 13.5 in the city with the Volo gas saver chip and steel sliders & bumpers.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 great pictures.
Where were they taken?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow! cool trip, great pics!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling

gas mileage, pffff . . . idk, i have been trying to ignore that. Although at prolonged highway speed i imagine i get slightly better mileage since i'm going the same speed at lower rpm's there were a few instances where the wind was very strong and moved us a bit, although i imagine it is about the same as without the lift . also i edited the original post to say where each one was.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by echomike
gas mileage, pffff . . . idk, i have been trying to ignore that.
LOL....me too

NICE PICS and really nice Rover, that thing is a beast. Looks like a great trip!

Where in Seattle are you now? My wife and I live about 20 min southeast of the Seattle proper.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm around tacoma . . .we need to get together !!!! show me some trails man! How are the duratracs in the snow up here? I'm not sure i think the bf Goodrich all terrains are good in it.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 PM
TReK

I'm around tacoma . . .we need to get together !!!! show me some trails man! How are the duratracs in the snow up here? I'm not sure i think the bf Goodrich all terrains are good in it.
For sure! Summer is fast approaching and with a lift/tires I plan on enjoying the outdoors even more.

Haven't had a chance to test the tires in the snow (got them put on literally 24 hours ago). I'm planning on going out on Mar 19th to the Ellensburg (east of the Cascades) area with a group of people, and that will be a good test run if I am not able to get out prior to that. Here's the info, come if you can ---> http://www.pnwadventures.com/forum/t...there-run.html

I've got BFG A/T's on my old FJ40, they are pretty good in light powdery snow, but pretty iffy on icey roads.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Winching

Great pics echomike...I'm jealous!

I used to live in Puyallup and there are plenty of off-road trails on old logging roads and national forest roads that lead up to the Longmire entrance to Mt. Rainer (State Hwy 706 E) and in Mt. Rainer (706 E turns into Paradise Rd. once you enter the park). If you have GPS, look for forest roads with "Nf" as the moniker on the maps...for example, Nf-012 out of Longmire.

Of course there is still snow on the ground on Mt. Rainer to "test" your BFGs.

Quick Reply: the trip from houston to seattle (with a few photos)