Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip up the mountain, considering salt, bring Disco or leave it at home?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 01:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Trip up the mountain, considering salt, bring Disco or leave it at home?

Fam is heading up to Tahoe for a couple days in December when it'll likely be snowing and the roads salted. I'd love to take the Disco, but wondering if I should preserve its pristine frame by opting for our other vehicle. Will a couple days of road salt hurt anything? Dumb question I realize for those who live in snowy parts of the county.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If you wash out the frame thoroughly after the trip you should be fine. I really doubt a few days of salt will do anything, I live in canada for reference and during the winter months with salt I just wash out the undercarriage once a month when it's sunny.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 02:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

If you intend to expose it to road salt you need to paint then coat the frame. Rustoleum rust converter followed by fluid film is what I would recommend.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Inside and out, so inside the frame as well as outside. Special attention to the frame horns at the rear where they dip down.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:58 PM
TReK
Received 524 Likes on 454 Posts

As Extinct says, rust proofing your frame is a very good idea. For perspective, I bet half of us fairly routinely drive on salted roads.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:06 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

They don't use salt in Tahoe. It's one of the most highly legislated and regulated watershed basins in the world. There is no salt. They use decomposed granite. If it is actively snowing when you go, you can expect extreme long delays -- you can be stuck in your vehicle for 4 to 8 hours over a distance that would normally take an hour. It's advisable not to go during a storm or if one is immediately impending. On the other hand, if it's not snowing, the roads are likely to be clear because the low temperatures, especially in December, are only around freezing and rarely below 20 F. Beware that in the likely event you need to refuel your Discovery II, fuel is at least a full dollar more per gallon than the nearest urban areas. I was there last night and saw $6.50/gallon. Parking can also be difficult to find or expensive.

longtallsally (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 12:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
They don't use salt in Tahoe. It's one of the most highly legislated and regulated watershed basins in the world. There is no salt. They use decomposed granite. If it is actively snowing when you go, you can expect extreme long delays -- you can be stuck in your vehicle for 4 to 8 hours over a distance that would normally take an hour. It's advisable not to go during a storm or if one is immediately impending. On the other hand, if it's not snowing, the roads are likely to be clear because the low temperatures, especially in December, are only around freezing and rarely below 20 F. Beware that in the likely event you need to refuel your Discovery II, fuel is at least a full dollar more per gallon than the nearest urban areas. I was there last night and saw $6.50/gallon. Parking can also be difficult to find or expensive.
I lived in South Lake for a bit as a kid and always just assumed it was salt on the roads. Wild, had no idea. It's between this or the Tesla. Would rather drive the Disco, but with gas prices, yeah, almost at $7 these days, might be forced to take the driving appliance instead.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

I hate to break bad news on the forums here, but Caltrans does indeed use salt in Northern CA / Tahoe / Truckee. Brine. Rock salt. Mixed with sand or gravel or ash. But ... salt.

And now, also in Oregon. Notably all over Mt Hood which is a similar protected watershed. And up in WA. This is a change in the last 10 years... the policy makers reversed course. For safety ... but at the detriment of the environment and our metal cars.

(I used to live in Bay Area and am now in Oregon... I've followed this closely - these are all areas that years ago, did not use any salt)

JohnZo (11-21-2023)