Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Codes P1590 + several more

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Codes P1590 + several more

2002 Disco II

Yesterday my truck kind of sputtered and felt like it was going to die while coming to a stop, check engine light comes on. When I pulled the codes I got P1590, P1300, P0308 & P0302. Seeing the misfire codes I naturally did the first step and easiest step of replacing plugs & wireset. Cleared the codes and test drove for 20 minutes and it drove great last night.

This morning I got same symptoms again, same codes except this time I had misfire codes for all of the even numbered cylinders 2,4,6,8 and multiple instances of each.

The P1590 appears to deal with an ABS issue, however I can't see how that is related to the misfires so I ignored that code originally. Does anyone know If, how and why the P1590 might be a true positive code in the mix of codes or is it just a false positive?

Everything I read so far says the 1590 is related to the 3 amigos but I have not experienced those lights any of the times my check engine came on. If it's possible to have ABS issues without those lights coming on, it might be helpful to add that just prior to this happening I drove through flooded streets on the way home in the 8"-10" depth so water likely splashed up in the engine.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Overlanding
Default additional info

Re-read the forum rules...

My truck has 125K

Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Overlanding

Any guesses? I'm tempted to change out the electronic ignition and coil pack for about $300. I'm still not sure about the 1590 code regarding ABS, could this be caused by ABS and the coil is a wasted part?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You can get the coils much cheaper than that. I think I paid $35 each. I'd make sure that's your problem so you aren't just throwing parts at it. I had a dead miss on a cylinder. I swapped the two coil packs and it moved to another cylinder. Now I just need to not be busy, and for it to stop raining, and I'll put the new ones in.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jafir
You can get the coils much cheaper than that. I think I paid $35 each. I'd make sure that's your problem so you aren't just throwing parts at it. I had a dead miss on a cylinder. I swapped the two coil packs and it moved to another cylinder. Now I just need to not be busy, and for it to stop raining, and I'll put the new ones in.
Thanks Jafir, I wish I knew the coils are the problem, I hate working like the dealership just throwing parts in till it's fixed but I don't have many more options unless somebody here has a better suggestion.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

isnt it possible to swap the two coil paks around and see if the problem moves with the coil pak?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drowssap
isnt it possible to swap the two coil paks around and see if the problem moves with the coil pak?
That's what I did. Also, I'd make sure that the wires are in the correct places. It's very strange that the even numbers aren't working, because the coils each have wires going to BOTH sides of the engine. The diagram in RAVE is kind of confusing.... to get yourself oriented correctly, note that there are only 3 bolts holding each coil to the bracket.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Overlanding

I ordered 2 new coils, knowing that's not the fix, plus new gaskets for the top side of the engine. I had a valve cover leak, tightened the cover and it stopped. Hoped that oil on the wires was the cause but now have new plug wires & plugs eliminating that possibility.

I'm still thinking that P1590 ABS code may be remotely responsible for this but I can't explain how or why.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the P1590. It's a rough road error, and will probaby go away when the misfire does.

Rough road signal
When the vehicle travels across rough terrain, or on rough roads instability becomes evident in the drive train. The
ECM could interpret these vibrations as a 'false misfire'. To counteract this 'false misfire' the SLABS ECU generates
a rough road signal, sends it to the ECM so that the ECM can suspend misfire detection for as long as the vehicle is
travelling on the 'rough road'.
Basically, I think (and I'm just guessing) that you'll get the P1590 error when the SLABS says, hey you've got a this much rough road, and the ECM says, BS... this is the real deal, I'm misfiring.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Overlanding

Drove 100 miles on new coils before I got the CES with misfires and P1590 again. I could tell the engine was running weak the entire 100 miles and very rough idle with AC on. Got my new crankshaft position sensor and put it in tonight, power is back, but still has rough idle with AC on.

Also have a bird chirping in the engine now, not sure if I got grease on the belt or if a pulley bearing is going out, only does it under load between 1500RPM-2000RPM. Does anybody know the most common pulley to go out? When I was younger I used to put soap on the belts to stop the squeak but I'm not sure if I should put that on a serpentine belt. However this is secondary to the original issue which isn't resolved yet, anyone have anymore guesses, I'm fresh out.

Quick Reply: Trouble Codes P1590 + several more