Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Starting

Hey guys I have 1996 disco that seems to take a few seconds to turn over. When it does start up, I have no problems with it, runs great. Could this be due to a loose fuel injector or dirty pistons? Also when it turns over there is a smell of gas in the air.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How often do you replace your fuel filter, how long has it been since it has been tuned with wires?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, what he asked......

Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're getting hesitation getting it to crank then check all your starter connections between the battery and starter and check battery starter grounds, both at the batter, starter and chassis.

If you're having hesitation getting it to fire when you first try it in the morning, check your fuel pressure at the rail. The pressure may be leaking off at night.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are smelling raw gas after it starts then you need a tune up, thats new spark plugs and spark plug wires.
Worn/dirty spark plugs will cause hard starting when cold and poor fuel economy.

Also cheap gas and the wrong grade of gas can speed up the wearing out of the spark plugs.
Premium fuel is required.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you smell raw gas during startup, do you see any gas on /around engine?

My guess would be it's the same as mine was, leaking injector(s)(into the combustion chamber)

Does the exhaust stink while idling? tailpipe black/sooty? Mine was.

I agree, tune it up, then look at the injectors, if it doesn't go away.

luck,greg

Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

I have been having a similar issue with my '99 Discovery I. It will not turn over until the 2nd or 3rd time that I turn the key. Occasionally it will turn over on the 1st try, however this is a rarity. Any advice on how to resolve this issue? I imagine it would be related to either the fuel pump or injectors.

Thanks
-Mac

Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hook up a fuel tester to it and check for leakdown. from there you have to determine if its the pump or the injector. You can block off the line from the return to see if its pump or not. if it is an injector check to see if it has a misfire code. If not pull up the injectors and check for leakdown.

also check the fuel sample for rust. If there is rust then the rail is bad as well.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Default thanks

Spike I've only been using premium gas, and is a tune up something I can do myself?

Discomike what did you mean when you said tuned with wires? Also I just replaced the fuel pump about 9 months ago.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you can do a tune up yourself.
Go to www.apexperformance.net and buy Magnecor spark plug wires.
Then go to your favorite autoparts store and buy spark plugs, I prefer Iridium plugs others the Bosch +4 others still cheap copper spark plugs, thats what came in your truck from the factory, copper spark plugs.
Then is you have a 3/8" drive socket set with a spark plug socket and a 6" extension you can do the tuneup yourself.
If you have never worked on a car before you might want to have it done BUT make sure they use the new Magnecor plug wires that you bring them.
Otherwise if you have basic skill you can do the tune up yourself in a couple of hours, just take your time and do one spark plug and wire at a time.
Make sure you also have a spark plug gap tool to double check the spark plug gap before you install each new spark plug.

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting