Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubling sounds!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Troubling sounds!!!

I am a recent owner of a Discovery II with 115,000 miles (I love it!) and have recently had some troubling sounds coming from the engine. When i start it, there is a loud vibrating sound after it has been running for a few moments. Like something is engaging or disengaging. This also happens sometimes while driving. No noticeable change to the idle or driving. It also has a small chirping sound coming from the fan area. The thing that bothers me most is the loud idling that occurs once it is put in gear. It seems to go away when gas pedal is depressed, but returns on idle. It does not happen in park. Also, my heat does not continue once the vehicle is in park for a few minutes. Could it be my water pump? Any suggestions on possible causes of these new sounds? I would like to post a sound clip or video, but am unsure how to do this at this point. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

is the check engine light coming on? have you done any maitenance since you purchased the truck? make sure you complete Mike's 60k service under the Disco section "How to" thread. change all your fluids, check the drive shaft see if has been rebuilt, see if the chirping is your serpentine belt it may need to be replaced. along with your plugs and wires. what kind of fuel are you using?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM
8th Gear

The check engine light is on. I recently changed the oil and filter, but no other service since I bought it. I am currently using mid-grade fuel, the previous owner said he always used that grade.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noise that you hear after you first start up is the SAI (secondary air injection) which is for the emmisions. Use the search function in the forum and you can find a few things about it.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by malmberg
The noise that you hear after you first start up is the SAI (secondary air injection) which is for the emmisions. Use the search function in the forum and you can find a few things about it.
Most, 2000's don't have SAI.
Does it have to be in gear when you hear it or can it happen at idle in park?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
8th Gear

It has to be in gear to hear it. In park I really don't hear the noise. I am thinking about posting a video tonight so that you can hear it Mike.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM
8th Gear

Here are a couple of videos. I can hear the noise slightly when not in gear, but it is much more pronounced once in gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHHdJ3lkXDo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJTZFBQUDJ8

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear 2 different noises. One sounds like maybe a bad pulley of some sort or maybe even the PAS pump. The other thing I heard was a lot of valve train noise. Is all that tapping coming from the engine?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust leak and bad bearing on one of the front rotational items?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

god that doesnt sound good.... get the code read and bring the 4 digit code back so we can stop guessing.

Quick Reply: Troubling sounds!!!