Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truetrac or not to truetrac?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking truetrac or not to truetrac?

just put an ARB air locker in my buddies rangie classic. now its time for me to step up my traction.

problem... wife will kill me if i drop 1200 on a rear locker and compressor...

so i found a shop on pirate 4x4 that's selling truetrac's at wholesale prices ($416) front/rear a piece now that's not a bad deal figure under 1k for front and rear that's something i can work with...

mike i know you have the front truetrac but i was thinking of using them in both diff's and hopefully not haveing to worry about HD axles for the time being as the truetracs come on alot softer from what i hear.

my buddy is all about ARB's but he dosnt have a wife to worry about hahaha.... is the use of front/rear truetrac's feasible? i could go detroit locker in rear and still save money but then i figure i need HD axles.

just wondering if anyone had imput on this setup before i drop 800 bones

if you dont know allready i have a '95 disco see's alot of dayley driving but also see's alot of off-road time here in southern cali (mike you know what its like down here)

Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I am thinking of truetracs front and rear in mine. I've never liked a full locker like the detroit on roads because they have a habit of tearing up tires. The detroit has been improved so it's not as bad on tires but it's still going to wear them more than a limited slip like the truetrac. For $800 it sounds like a good deal to me.

The differential isn't really going to determine whether you need HD axles as much as the terrain you cover. Even with a detroit in the rear you should be fine with the standard axles unless you get into some extreme terrain.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Mudding

im a slow and steady off roader but do see some tough tough terain the truetracs just sound like a nice blend of offroad vs. streetability. i just havnt heard or anyone on here using them in both diff's

discomike do you have any imput on your experiances with the truetrac?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Most folks I know that have a duel purpose machine (everyday commuter and off road) that have taken the "Detroit" route use a locker in the rear and a limited slip in the front. This configuration will all but eliminate the tire wear situation - caused by the front wheels turning on hard roads.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

In the past the detroits wouldn't unlock to allow to rear tires to turn at different speed as necessary during a turn. That caused extreme tire wear on the road. From what I have read and have been told by a few people using the new detroits that that situation has been resolved. They still fully lock off road and stay locked but it takes a lot less difference in tire speed during a turn to unlock.

I have no personal experience with the detroit locker. Just passing on what I have heard and read over time.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

From what I read the new detroits are redesigned so that they allow diff slip that should happen (ie from turning) and eliminate slip that would happen from say, getting stuck in mud, reducing the tire wear problem.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, the new Detroit, now about 7 years old is refered to as a silent locker based on a very slight change they made. I can take my 99 into a parking lot and do figure 8's or full lock circles with none of the old popping noise.
Jeff, as for your question, I have seen a number of people, in both of the Rover clubs that I belong to, install dual T.T.'s and they really like them.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The setup I'll be running when (yes, when) I win the lottery will probably be the truetrac up front and the detroit rear. I like the ARBs but they take more time to install, and have more parts that could possibly fail in the long run. I'll probably end up installing the ARB compressor anyway just to have the tire inflation there but I do like the truetrac/detroit setup.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mi,e,, I have a 2001 Disco 2 with no "niple" on the transfer case, I just had the "bypass" done to get rid of the "Three Amigos " I do mostly street driving but want to start doing more "off-roading " and I am thinking of doing true-tracks " would you recommend? And would you do front or back first?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

I would recommend swapping in a TC with the locking ability and if you decide you need more traction aids then start with the rear diff. Personally I'm a fan of the air lockers as I like the ability to control when the diffs are locked vs a detroit or trutrac.