Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuff-Rox SS D2 Lockable Cubby Box Review:

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Interesting

Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by nojunkmailplease
Tell him to do a better job with his marketing so people can find him next time. ..
uh...ok.
Btw... Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I bought one of these... not happy. A few things.

1) #1 dont appreciate being mislead. Best 4x4 pictures have a lgun on top of the safe. what he doesnt show you ... THE LID DOES NOT CLOSE. you fellas bashed a poster for legit pointing this out and saying he wants it in black over ss. come to find out yes you have to put the gun in the safe. That is NO GOOD in an emergency situation. And dont anyone dare tell me I dont know what I'm talking about. I should've read more before getting too excited .Thanks best 4x4. your camera trick photos worked. You got my money.

2) black combo **** feels plastic not metal it gets in the way of the square holder so I cant put my cigg packs in,.

3) can only mount it 1 way no extra holes

4) A sharp steel edge to skin your hand every time you reach in. I smoke and drive allot. So I'm always reaching in and out. I put a rubber protect strip on it .. but it woudnlt close. I had to unscrew and bend the latch w 2 pliers to get it to close. A rubber strip is something that shoulda been done in QQ testing. It's common sense. that edge is too sharp.

5) small latch held by 1 screw. 1 latch. 1 screw. Anyone with a flat edge and a little muscle could pop that **** off.

6) Very high price. I expected the best. Didn't get it. This will go up for sale on ebay.

This review is honest. Take it or leave it. I dont care.

POSITIVES - This was a good idea and I appreciate the enthusiam in whoever made it. But its' not for me. If people need to hide things to make it a little more difficult for a thief ok. But the #1 reason I got this was to rest my gun on top for quick draw - just like the photos show. Thats the reason I got it. Thanks for the misleading photos Best.

Last edited by nojunkmailplease; 02-01-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Welp... I’ve had mine installed for a year now and I still really like it. The lock works great and keeps my Nanocom, OBD cord and gerber knife well hidden.
well worth the money imo.

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
Daytoman (02-02-2020), OverRover (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

You intentionally missed his point so I'll try and make it make sense to you Best. You CANT CLOSE THE LID WITH THE GUN RESTING ON TOP OF THE SAFE. Understand? They dont make guns that thin. But your photos make it look different. As for secured.. the guns secured when THE LIDS CLOSED. Same as the glove box. CLOSED. Understand? Read the gun forums about CCP carry laws if you still don't get it.

Frowned upon? YEP. Illegal? NOPE. We want the 9 resting on top of the safe with the lid closed. Your safe doesn't do that and its really expensive. Coulda bought another high point for this cost.
I'm having a really hard time taking your post seriously nojunkmailplease... The pic of the gun on top of the lockable cubby box was never meant to imply that you can close the center console lid with a firearm on top. That kinda defeats the entire purpose of having the lockable SS cubby box installed as you could just toss a firearm into the center console without the lockable SS cubby box.

If you place your firearm into the lockable SS cubby box, and lock it = firearm is secured. Also the thread/sticky is:

Tuff-Rox SS D2 Lockable Cubby Box Review:

I never referred to it as a Safe.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-01-2020 at 04:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

A D1/D2 has plenty of places I could toss a firearm into that the average thief would not find. Behind the plastic lower dash panel on the drivers side, under the passenger seat (SD models had a cool little plastic cubby bin) where the door is to access the CD player on SE or higher up models. The ENTIRE purpose of the lockable SS cubby box = it locks!! So whatever you want to secure to stop the average thief = place inside it. It's not meant to be a safe.

You mentioned quick draw access in another post & sorry the lockable SS cubby box is not for that. If you want something to hold a firearm for quick draw access those HD magnet mounts work excellent.

Your post is negative toward a product for a purpose it was NEVER designed for. It was designed a lockable insert you can install into the center console. It does that perfectly with a nice dial lock, and sturdy construction.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:22 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I'm having a really hard time taking your post seriously nojunkmailplease...
Of course you are BEST because you don't speak...……

Old 02-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing these days amazes me like the online world. Write an article/review and BOOM someone will totally misunderstand it and then bash it. The lockable cubby box does exactly what it's made to do (provides a sturdy lockable box). I also find that since it bolts directly thru the console and directly to the metal bracket it supports the OEM center console much better than the two bolts at the bottom that usually blow out causing the console to move around.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nojunkmailplease
Yea I bought one of these... not happy. A few things.

1) #1 dont appreciate being mislead. Best 4x4 pictures have a lgun on top of the safe. what he doesnt show you ... THE LID DOES NOT CLOSE. you fellas bashed a poster for legit pointing this out and saying he wants it in black over ss. come to find out yes you have to put the gun in the safe. That is NO GOOD in an emergency situation. And dont anyone dare tell me I dont know what I'm talking about. I should've read more before getting too excited .Thanks best 4x4. your camera trick photos worked. You got my money.

2) black combo **** feels plastic not metal it gets in the way of the square holder so I cant put my cigg packs in,.

3) can only mount it 1 way no extra holes

4) A sharp steel edge to skin your hand every time you reach in. I smoke and drive allot. So I'm always reaching in and out. I put a rubber protect strip on it .. but it woudnlt close. I had to unscrew and bend the latch w 2 pliers to get it to close. A rubber strip is something that shoulda been done in QQ testing. It's common sense. that edge is too sharp.

5) small latch held by 1 screw. 1 latch. 1 screw. Anyone with a flat edge and a little muscle could pop that **** off.

6) Very high price. I expected the best. Didn't get it. This will go up for sale on ebay.

This review is honest. Take it or leave it. I dont care.

POSITIVES - This was a good idea and I appreciate the enthusiam in whoever made it. But its' not for me. If people need to hide things to make it a little more difficult for a thief ok. But the #1 reason I got this was to rest my gun on top for quick draw - just like the photos show. Thats the reason I got it. Thanks for the misleading photos Best.
Uh, after reading your nonsensical post, I have come to only one conclusion....you must be a really special kind of stupid.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Nothing these days amazes me like the online world. Write an article/review and BOOM someone will totally misunderstand it and then bash it. The lockable cubby box does exactly what it's made to do (provides a sturdy lockable box). I also find that since it bolts directly thru the console and directly to the metal bracket it supports the OEM center console much better than the two bolts at the bottom that usually blow out causing the console to move around.
Well, some people are just stupid. Nothing can be done about that.

You are correct about the extra support the box adds to the center console. An added benefit for sure.

Quick Reply: Tuff-Rox SS D2 Lockable Cubby Box Review: