Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune up up up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Tune up up up

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium

Iridium (pronounced /ɪˈrɪdiəm/) is the chemical element with atomic number 77, and is represented by the symbol Ir. A very hard, brittle, silvery-white transition metal of the platinum family, iridium is the second densest element and is the most corrosion-resistant metal, even at temperatures as high as 2000°C. Although only certain molten salts and halogens are corrosive to solid iridium, finely divided iridium dust is much more reactive and can even be flammable. The most important iridium compounds in terms of use are the salts and acids it forms with chlorine, though iridium also forms a number of organometallic compounds used in catalysis and in research. 191Ir and 193Ir are the only two naturally-occurring isotopes of iridium as well as the only stable isotopes; the latter is the more abundant of the two. Iridium was discovered in 1803 by Smithson Tennant among insoluble impurities in natural platinum from South America. It is one of the rarest elements in the Earth's crust, with annual production and consumption of only three tonnes. However, iridium does find a number of specialized industrial and scientific applications. Iridium is employed when high corrosion resistance and high temperatures are needed, as in spark plugs, crucibles for recrystallization of semiconductors at high temperatures, electrodes for the production of chlorine in the chloralkali process, and radioisotope thermoelectric generators used in unmanned spacecraft. Iridium compounds also find applications as catalysts for the production of acetic acid. Iridium has been linked with the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other species 65million years ago. The unusually high abundance of iridium in the clays of the K–T geologic boundary was a crucial clue that led to the theory that the extinction was caused by the impact of a massive extraterrestrial object with Earth—the so-called Alvarez hypothesis. Iridium is found in meteorites with an abundance much higher than its average abundance in the Earth's crust. It is thought that due to the high density and siderophilic ("iron-loving") character of iridium, most of the iridium on Earth is found in the inner core of the planet.
Yes, they are made from metiors, that is why they are so expensive, someone has to watch the southern sky and race to reach the metior after it hits the ground, not as easy as it sounds.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA...meteor chasers!!! I will only install those plugs if my rover makes the same noise as George Jetsons ride! Thats awesome. I will definetly be installing those. I threw down some cardboard and changed the oil just now. Looks like I have an oil leak. Oil all over the bottom of the oil pan.

Now we just need to find a way to impliment moon rocks into the rover operating system. I was thinking we could stuff one in a box and duct tape it to the underside of the rover. Use it as an emergency key if you lock your keys inside.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the rear hubs are made from moon rocks..just go price a new one and you will see

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: IDAHO

Now we just need to find a way to impliment moon rocks into the rover operating system. I was thinking we could stuff one in a box and duct tape it to the underside of the rover. Use it as an emergency key if you lock your keys inside.
The problem I have is locking myself inside my truck, I HATE that, I have to wait until my wife gets home to let me out.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

ORIGINAL: Spike555

The problem I have is locking myself inside my truck, I HATE that, I have to wait until my wife gets home to let me out.
I couldn't think of any other place I would rather be locked in than in my Rover... =)

Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jycsalas

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I couldn't think of any other place I would rather be locked in than in my Rover... =)
in a hotel room with scarlet johansen