Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn the key, no start DI

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Turn the key, no start DI

After doing a lot of work on my DI, I went to the parts store to check codes and reset check engine light.

After resetting and restarting no codes present. Cut it off, went in the store, came back out,turn key, nothing. I screwed around with it, nothing. Got clerk to check battery, it was old and out of spec. After he did the battery check it did start. Good output but low battery voltage,had another battery at home so I drove back home.

Other battery was purchased for an Explorer, case too big to fit.
Put trickle charger on old battery, called around, bought Bosch from PepBoys, it fired right up. drove home fine.

Went back out an hour later, turn key - silence. No engine response at all. Lights are bright, good power, no response to turning key.

What troubleshooting steps should I take? Have multi-meter and rave manual. Anyone familar with this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:32 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be starter going out

Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Baja

What is best way to fault isolate? I can't just throw money at the problem.

Mike, what would you reccommend?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

throwing money at a problem is stupid..I don't blame you. If all test point to the starter you can remove starter and have it bench tested at an auto parts store like auto zone or advanced.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wont start plenty of battery turns over plenty of gas just nothing

Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Baja

Yes, that's what it is doing, everything was fine except no engine response at all. Dead quiet. I have started reviewing the pages that I had alrady printed when I first bought a Rave CD. I can't seem to locate the circuit pages for the engine start sequence, I know there are a set sequence of switches and associated circuitry.

I'll have to review the CD for the specific circuit schematic and was planning to verify as much as possible with meter prior ro removing anything. I was just wondering if I had possibly distrubed some delicate component or if starter is going bad. Are there are user replacement items in starter or should I just go with replacement from Autozone? Was planning to research various prices. I saw that Atlantic British has the starter motor for a little over $200. I thought i had seen them much higher elsewhere.

Got to get busy with schematic and meter prior to tearing anything out. I already have the binnacle apart from verifying cdl engaged bulb was good. I have another posting about problem with CDL engagement.

Thanks to all for viewing and comments. I appreciate everyone's input. I am new to this website but am very impressed with the community.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:38 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when it stops working try putting the vehicle into neutral to start. if that works then its the xyz switch. If not, then start checking the starter circuit and the ignition circuit for power and ground and continuity.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Baja

I did try both Park and neutral positions, no difference. This occurred twice yesterday, once in front of the parts store, tyhey did a battery check and then it started right up.

I went back out a few hours later, bought and installed new battery, it cranked right up. Got home, cut it off. Went to restart, same symptoms - after turning key - dead silence - no engine turnover, no nothing. Just silence - no solenoid clicking nothing.

Should I check for voltage at starter with key in start position?

Read start circuit?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Baja
Default Two new questions

Two new questions regarding the no statrt situation.

. Is the electrical circuit diagram part of the downloadable Rave package, I can't seem to find it. I have printed pages from the CD I bought that I can no longer find.

2. What about the switch on the column where the key goes? Mine seems a little worn or whatever, sometimes I have to jiggle the key to get it to turn.

I am really perplexed with the dead silence when I turn the key. I just don't know what to do next..........

Old 03-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the same thing with my 03 last week. Put the key in and turn to on and you get all the buzzers and lights come on, but try to start and everything just dies. No clicking or buzzing. Move the cables around and lights would come back on, but as soon as I tried to start it again, same thing happened. It sounds simple, but I took both of the cables off the battery and cleaned the connectors with a battery brush till they shined, sprayed the terminal connector protectant junk on there, and then reconnected securely. Haven't had any problems since then. It didn't look like there was any corrosion until I took it all apart. I've seen this happen on other vehicles as well, but usually the symptoms you have described are from bad ground or corrosion. Hopefully that old adage of KISS will serve you well here! Good luck! Jere

Last edited by bigjerel; 03-20-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added some extra steps

Quick Reply: Turn the key, no start DI