Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...

The head light switch was becoming a little hard to move and I was needing to give it a little extra turn pressure for the headlights to come on. Time to remove it, break it down, clean the contacts, fresh dielectric grease and re install. [I had already done the "wiper switch fix" and posted it here, so may be a little redundant].
If you take your own photos and a little patience, this is another 1 hour job that may save ordering a new one.
1...Remove the 3 screws holding the steering wheel column cover and remove
2...Turn the steering wheel to get some access to the 2 screws that hold the switch in place.
3...Flathead screw driver and a steady firm pull on the arm to release the switch, unplug and remove. {PIC 1}

4...2 screws hold the switch back plate together where you access the contacts and inner working of the switch {PIC 2}. Remove the plastic "shield" piece, then the unit part itself.
MAKE NOTE OF WHERE EVERYTHING IS PRIOR TO REMOVING THE PIECES!!

5...Notice the old grease that has become sticky and preventing good contact within the switch {PIC 3}

6...I used a little cleaner and a small wire brush and lightly cleaned the contacts.
{PIC 4}
7...Using the photo put the moving parts back together, paying close attention to how they were before you took them out. The one thing I would caution is the smallest of the contacts {PIC 5} (which is the turn signal contact FYI) needs to go back in correctly or the switch will more than likely break the small plastic post which moves this contact. You can see the slot is offset.

Continued...

Attached Thumbnails Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0295.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0289.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0288.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0292.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0302.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by CANAMDiscovery:
Externet (10-19-2020), JUKE179r (10-19-2020)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Continued...

8...You will have noticed a small metal piece that is loose when you open it up and it will fit as seen in the center of {PIC 1 below}. Use a little glob of grease to hold it in place when clipping the unit back together.
9...Snap the switch back together, secure the screws and install it back on the truck.

Here are some other random photos that may or may not give you some more insight..Note the last picture is of the entire switch dismantled [You will not need to go into the other side of the switch... I just for no other reason than I wanted too see it]

Attached Thumbnails Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0307.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0304.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0306.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0303.jpg   Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0297.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by CANAMDiscovery:
Externet (10-19-2020), JUKE179r (10-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you for this. I will be attacking both sides shortly, and these photos will help.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling

No problem,
Hope it helps out. I always figure a picture can tell it all. Fairly simple to service a non responsive switch.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! I'll try this - thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will try this on my 2003 Disco II as the delay is getting worse although the weather has got much colder.

Will buy what i need from the car shop on Saturday, can you confirm what i should use as a "cleaner" and recommend what brand of grease to use?

Cheers

J

Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jadreigo
Will try this on my 2003 Disco II as the delay is getting worse although the weather has got much colder.

Will buy what i need from the car shop on Saturday, can you confirm what i should use as a "cleaner" and recommend what brand of grease to use?

Cheers

J
Electrical contact cleaner, or any degreaser with a small brush and rag it off
Contact cleaner is nice because it dries fast.
Dielectric grease, or Vasoline will do the trick. Used a Q-tip to coat the plastic slides and metal contacts.

Attached Thumbnails Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-img_0325.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I know it's not likely, but be careful to not get the Contact Cleaner onto the White Screen Printed graphics/words on the stalks. It can, and does, remove those if it gets too wet. I've experienced this in the past.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Thanks So Much for your post!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Overlanding

When I turn the head light **** in the on position, my dash light are cutting out. I have to turn it back towards off ever so slightly to get the head lights and the dash lights on at the same time. Should this cure the problem?

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...