Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmelton
When I turn the head light **** in the on position, my dash light are cutting out. I have to turn it back towards off ever so slightly to get the head lights and the dash lights on at the same time. Should this cure the problem?
I would think this is the fix for what you describe. While in there, just make sure the contacts are pressing firmly against each other. I have not done this to THIS vehicle, but on others, I've needed to re-spring things to get tighter connections...

Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just cleaned all the contacts up and still have a blinker problem, I'm beginning to think its a ground issue, I noticed as I put everything back together this pin just sticks out of the blinker switch with nothing attached to it. Does anybody know what the purpose of this is?
The only electrical connections I removed were the two harnesses that go into the switch. Is this stud suppose to just sit without anything attached to it? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Turn Signal Head light Switch Dismantled...-image.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

My left signal worked now and then and then finally not at all. Fixed it in 15 seconds. Get a can of WD40 and put the red time in the switch and flush it out. Over time dust builds up. Whole lot easier than taking it apart.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Big thank you!

@CANAMDiscovery Thank you for your instructions and pictures! They are worth a 1000 words. I thought my LED bulbs (all except the turn signals remained as OEM bulbs) were doing something funny with the circuit, and eventually took out my dash lightings, plus my side markers.

Reason to believe that...the LEDs which were initially installed as turn signals, consume such low watts that my circuit was tricked to believe there was a burnt out bulb and therefore blinked at a rapid speed as all old school cars do. So not until one day I have time to explore adding resistors to the turn signal circuit along side with the LED bulbs, I decided to keep the turn signal bulbs as OEM.

My LR specialty shop looked at my side markers and dash illumination problems, and said it was a common issue with the turn signal/headlight switch unit. They were supposed to locate a used one for me from the scrap yard. I've given up waiting and decided to open up the switch according to your instructions. If all fails, there are a few listings on eBay as my back up.

Long story short, after going through the exercise a few times, still no luck bringing my side markers and dash illumination back on. I was sure I cleaned all copper surface thoroughly. Then I came across another post, can't remember who mentioned "fuse #14"... and I thought to myself..."nah... the shop I trusted had already ruled out fuse problem". I went to take a look out of desperation...and sure enough it was just a simple blown 20A fuse.

I still want to thank you, for this exercise will come handy someday down the road. And I did clean up the internal thoroughly even I didn't have to this time around.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:51 AM
7th Gear

CANAM -- pictures were super helpful. Thanks!!
So i ignored the adage 'if it ain't broke...' and proceeded to disassemble my fully functioning headlight switch to clean it since i had just successfully repaired the wiper switch and everything was already there and open.
When I put it all back together and connect the battery, the lights come on and can't be turned off.
Repeat (disassemble and reassemble) and lights won't come on at all.
Repeat and parking lights come on and can't be turned off (with no functionality for headlights).
I tried moving the two sliding white parts to different positions, which resulted in the above results.
Can you please share how those sliding white pieces are supposed to be placed for reassembly? I tried the positions you show in your photo (both centered) but this resulted in headlights being permanently on and not able to be turned off. I'm almost ready to shop for a new switch but feel like I'm so close.
Note: I did lose one of the two small white pieces of plastic and related spring that allows the turn signal to be used without fully clicking it on so if anyone has that item lying around, would love to be able to buy one from you.
Thanks.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 PM
Drifting
Default Passenger side headlight has no power

I have a 2000 Disco II. My passenger side headlight has no power, its fuse #22 has no power. The driver side headlight works fine. I was told a fuse in the fusebox ( F-10) in the fusebox under the hood powers the switch which in turn powers fuse #22 which in turn powers the wire running to headlight. ould I easily identify the part inside the switch that powers fuse #22? Are there two separate circuits inside the switch powering the left and right headlights? Thank you for your help.