Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal issue...weird...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issue...weird...

So, um, my turn signals dislike extreme cold.

We've had below freezing temps these past three days and every single day, my signals didn't work until it warmed up later in the morning.
For two days they wouldn't turn on at all until the ice melted off the car around 10 or 11. Then, they'd turn on but it would take 5-10 seconds to kick in. By noon they were normal. Yesterday they'd go on after the 5-10 second delay right away in the morning. By lunch, completely fine.

This morning the temp was in the 40s and they worked just fine in the driveway.

Is my Disco just weird and stubborn or is something about to go wrong?

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turn signal issue...weird...

Frozen blinker fluid... try adding 2 parts denatured alcohol to the mix after flushing the system.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
4wd High

Well, I also have an 03' and mine does the exact same thing.Last week it was about 17 out during the day and even colder at nigth and I had the same symptons as you.The weatherwarmed up a day later and it was just fine. It has done this twice now this year winter.I am guessing a loose connection and the extremecold is causing wherever it maybe to get even more play in it?Gotta love LR's!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: salve7

Frozen blinker fluid... try adding 2 parts denatured alcohol to the mix after flushing the system.
couldn't have said it better

Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome back Annie. We haven't heard much from you lately, at least not that I've noticed. From what I have read what you are describing is pretty common in D2s. Weird part is that D1s use the same turn signal switch and don't have the problem. It's something in the wiring of D2s. Too much electronic crap I guess.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Mudding

I'm around...I just haven't any Disco problems (knocks on wood)
Great...I probably just jinxed myself...haha.

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A new turn signal switch will fix the problem.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Mudding

2004 Discovery 70k miles just developed same issue. Dont think its the ambient tempreature however. I'm in southern California and the delay will happen on an 80 degree afternoon. It seems to be more of a "cold start" issue- on the switch itself. For example, I could have driven for hours without using the turn signal, then suddenly go to use it and nada- for maybe 5-10 seconds- then presto it works. And once I get through the first delay it semms to have "warmed up" and then works fine everytime that same drive. Then, when I park it for a long period, the process repeats on the next drive.
What a crummy switch! Is buying a $150 complete new turn signal/light switch the only fix??

Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok just a thought, when I took my switch apart there was a lot of grease in the switch, not sure if this grease would hamper the electronics (it is there to ease the turn signal mechanism inside the switch) but it may be a little too much I tried cleaning the contacts really well, not sure if this will help your problems

Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Mudding

You need a new turn signal switch/stalk. They are not to expensive. You will probably end up with the same problem on your wiper stalk. I had to replace both at 60k. I went with a new turn signal for around $100 and used wiper for $30. The new wiper is $350. I took both out and cleaned them and it did not help.

Quick Reply: Turn signal issue...weird...