Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal problem

Hello all,
I recently just got this problem. The thing is is that my right blinker does all sorts of crazy things (the left one works perfectly). What happenes is that when I turn the right signal on it will either blink fast like a bulb is out and then shut off, blink slowly and fastly in no specific order and then shut off, blink with the trailer light simultaneously and then shut off, or just not work. I checked all the bulbs and made sure that the fuse was all the way in but I'm at a loss on where to go from here. Unfortunately I live in the city where a turn signal is vital so I need to get this thing fixed quickly. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Things to note:
1)The entire right side of lights on the truck act according to what is being done on the dash
2)I have the after market trailer kit from AB and I disconnected it without any improvement
3)I turned on the hazards andboth turn signallights on thedash willmimic whathappenes when I only turn on the right blinker................. however the left side lights will function properly while the right side lights will go crazy.
4)There isnt any water in any of the light brackets

Thanks in advance

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: turn signal problem

Sounds like a bad ground (earth).
I don't know on Disco's II where they are.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check your ground's and then the turn signal switch.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Mudding

Where would I check the grounds? Are there multiple spots or do all the lights on one side of the truck work off one ground? Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Mudding

Ok so I have tracked down what I think is the location of the ground header for the right directional lights according to the Rave manual. From the picture it looks like they are located in the front passenger door or possibly in the passenger side view mirror (hard to tell from the picture). I am going to take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can get in there and find the problem. I'm not too good with electrical parts so I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should be looking for ............ I don't know what a ground/earth header would look like so I'm going in blind. Also, I did get my passenger side mirror hit while parked a few days ago and it shattered the glass and cracked the casing. This all happened before I started to have the directional lights problem. Do you guys thing that it is coincidental or are the problems the rooted together? Please help. Thanks again

Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

So your mirror was shattered (sha dooby) and then this problem started a coupleof days later? I would say that they are related.
Call your insurance agent, maybe they will cover it. After all, it just happened this afternoon.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Mudding

I was thinking about calling them however my deductible is $500 and my insurance would go up (here in NJ, I think we pay the most to begin with[:@]) . I figured it would be better off just getting a new piece of glass and being done with it (the truck is almost a decade old right). If I can't locate the problem with the blinker then perhaps I will consider giving them a shot but I don't give up easily. What should I be looking for in terms of a faulty connection. The RAVE describes the function of the indicators as:

When the flasher is moved to the LH or RH hand flasher position an earth path is completed from the switch on a B wire, via header C0286 LHD/ C0291 RHD to earth header C0018 LHD/ C0017 RHD.

Through the diagrams in the manual I have found that the C0017 RHD earth header is in the passenger door/passenger side view mirror and I am assuming that the B wire stands for a BLACK wire. So I am going to tear into it tomorrow and see what I can find but I am not sure of what an earth header would look like. Also, will it be obvious that the connection is faulty (ie coming off) or will I have to check for voltage coming through the wire? Thanks for the help its much appreciated

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

I always forget that not every one is a "no fault" state like we are. It wouldnt cost me anything to get fixed as long as it isint my fault.

You might have a corroded connector, when it was exposed to the elements it failed. I do not know how to check it.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Mudding

Well I found the problem............. My right turn signal relay is shot. Does anyone know if I can just buy another at an autoparts store or do I have to get a specific one from LR. The nearest dealer is a little ways away and I would rather not drive too far without a turn signal. Thanks alot for all the help

Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Check www.atlanticbritish.com and www.autozone.com, you can buy most of your parts from AutoZone.

Quick Reply: turn signal problem