Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning circle and the unthinkable.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Turning circle and the unthinkable.

Well this week I'm going to do the unthinkable. I've lived with the D2 abysmal steering lock for 11 years now and it originally had 18" wheels and now has 19" RRS wheels for the past 7 years. Although the overall rolling diameter is exactly the same as is the tire width it shouldn't change the dynamics I hope, (famous last words). So, at present I have 29mm steering lock stops and I'll see whether there is sufficient clearance between the tire and the sway bar on full lock. If there is sufficient clearance I'll remove the stops and put them in the lathe and turn them down a millimetre at a time until I have just sufficient clearance between tire and sway bar allowing for deflections. Yep, you can buy new stops but at a price £20+ per pair plus packing washers. So I'll try the unthinkable and spin off a few millimeters in the lathe. From what I've calculated every millimeter less stop is worth 9-10" less turning circle .......... eeerrrr ............ hope my math is correct

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Well this week I'm going to do the unthinkable. I've lived with the D2 abysmal steering lock for 11 years now and it originally had 18" wheels and now has 19" RRS wheels for the past 7 years. Although the overall rolling diameter is exactly the same as is the tire width it shouldn't change the dynamics I hope, (famous last words). So, at present I have 29mm steering lock stops and I'll see whether there is sufficient clearance between the tire and the sway bar on full lock. If there is sufficient clearance I'll remove the stops and put them in the lathe and turn them down a millimetre at a time until I have just sufficient clearance between tire and sway bar allowing for deflections. Yep, you can buy new stops but at a price £20+ per pair plus packing washers. So I'll try the unthinkable and spin off a few millimeters in the lathe. From what I've calculated every millimeter less stop is worth 9-10" less turning circle .......... eeerrrr ............ hope my math is correct
I was just thinking of doing the same thing. I knew you could buy shorter ones, but was thinking I could just shorten the ones I have in my lathe.

I've always hated having to back up to maneuver into a tight place. Was hard to get used to after 300K + miles in a jeep. I've been driving it like that for almost 8 years and still misjudge my turns sometimes.

Let me know what you end up removing when you do that. This truck has 18's and with stock width tires. My other truck will have 16's with tall skinny tires and I'll have to take it off a little at a time like you are doing.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-27-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course, if you accidentally take too much off, you can just stick some packing washers in there to build it up again.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Of course, if you accidentally take too much off, you can just stick some packing washers in there to build it up again.
^^^What I did. Still slightly rubs at lock with stock 18" wheels & tires but turns SO much tighter.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Baja

Just as an aside guys and for future reference, NEVER hold the steering forced against full lock as the steering box bypass valve isn't designed for that kind of punishment and will give up pretty quickly and it'll cost you big time for a new box and fitting. It's not an easy or pleasant job to do yourself

This recommendation is in the owners handbook or in the RAVE manual.

I'll post the results of my steering stop mods when done but it'll be next week now as I'm on with another project at the moment (I'm reigned in and under instructions from her indoors who must be obeyed ) .

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-28-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Baja

Follow up.

I checked out the clearance between the tire and the sway bar and radius arms both sides and there is only 30-40mm which isn't enough to bother with in reducing the steering stops especially as this check was stationary with no dynamic wheel movement. This is running 255x50xR19 stock RRS wheels/tires on a stock D2 which would be exactly the same for the 255x55xR18 on standard stock wheels. As the Continental tires cost about £220 each ($375) it's not worth trashing the tires or the suspension for the additional turning circle, if any.

Hey-ho, another job I don't have to do

Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Bummer! I'll check mine... probably the same.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Hmmm, this is all pretty interesting.

I have a 2003 and the turning radius is less than my 2- 2004s. I am wondering what the problem was. The car in question had the same rim and tire size as the 2004 that turns much tighter.

Can you guys see any reason for that?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
Hmmm, this is all pretty interesting.

I have a 2003 and the turning radius is less than my 2- 2004s. I am wondering what the problem was. The car in question had the same rim and tire size as the 2004 that turns much tighter.

Can you guys see any reason for that?
Did you look to see if yours have the same length steering stops on the 03 as on the 04's? They make a long one and a short one and I have read that some have installed the short one for tighter radius but, if the shorter one makes the tires rub with stock width rims/tires, I don't see how anybody could use it?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

you guys are fancy, with you lathes. I took a grinder to mine

Quick Reply: Turning circle and the unthinkable.