Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two hopefully "quick" fixes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two hopefully "quick" fixes

Hi guys,

Did a search til the end of the earth and couldn't find anything regarding these issues specifically.

First off the truck is running great. No 3 amigos, new driveshaft is in as well as the box. I have a check engine light on which has been on even after I replaced the O2 sensors with two brand new ones from British Atlantic. The only code I am getting now is 0174. Bank 2 running lean. I have entertained the idea of a questionable MAF as it is pretty old, but I'm not sure why that would only have one side lean. It has a fresh oil change, new plugs, STI wires, and runs absolutely perfect. I'd really like to figure out why I have this single sided code.

EDIT: I have a small oil leak which looks like it is coming from the Pass side VC. Could that have something to do with it?

Second is the beloved steering. I have narrowed down the steering wobble to the pitman arm/steering rod joint. I have the oem pitman arm with about 125k on it. I would like to replace the steering rod and am pretty certain that is the issue. Am I able to replace just the tie rod end in there? It has three circumferential "crimps" on there and I can't seem to get the end out. I'm getting the idea that isn't supposed to come out and I will need to get a new steering rod all together. There seems to be a very small amount of movement lost in the box, am I able to adjust that at all? No leaks, no noises.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as specific as possible and give clear picture. Other than these the truck has been great.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I have the old steering box sitting in my garage. What can I do with it other than junk it?

Last edited by Club Cheetah; 11-27-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If oil is leaking onto your new 02 sensor, it will ruin the sensor and throw that code. Is the oil leaking onto the 02 sensor? I had that same code a few weeks back and it went away after I changed my 02 sensors. I would guess that the sensor is either not plugged in all the way, or oil is dripping on it.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Did you clean the connection real well and apply dielectric grease before plugging in the new sensor?
The socket needed for the (Rocker Cover bolts) can be ordered from Napa for under $4 its a 1/4 drive 8mm 12point deep socket give the 4 you can reach a snug every oil change or so or if you tear down put a little dab of lock tight on them to keep them from vibrating loose again.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Three Wheeling

I actually didn't clean them at all. If there is some crud in there are they toast? I'll clean them and get some grease in there tonight when my wife gets home. What do you guys recommend to use as a cleaner?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Banned

Electrical contact cleaner. And then you should also put dielectric grease in the spark plug wire boots (both ends) i would change the mass air flow and see what happens if you could borrow a buddies just to check that way its no cost. Or grab a new one worst case you will have one as back up later down the road.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Mudding

If I were to guess its probably a dirty or malfunctioning passenger side O2 connector or a vacuum leak on passenger side causing it to run lean maybe just a fuel injector Oring.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you might what to smoke test for a vacuum leak. I leaking valve cover could be pulling in air causing it to run lean. Good luck. Let us know if you find the fix.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leaking downpipe gasket or a crack in the pipe before the O2 sensor will also cause that code (too much oxygen getting to the sensor that it can't compensate for)

Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Mudding

anyone know where the oil leak could possibly be coming from? I'm having the same issue w code 0174. I checked the o2 passenger side and sure enough its covered in oil. I'm going to try removing the sensor today, clean it, then throwing it back in w dielectric. Am i better off replacing it w a new one?

This code has also been paired w 0150. any help is appreciated!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Valve covers love to leak oil. Snug up with 8mm 12 point skinny socket.

Quick Reply: Two hopefully "quick" fixes