Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two things I want to tackle today...got some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two things I want to tackle today...got some questions!

I've got a power steering leak I have to take care of. I've identified the source of the leak but what I can't find locally is the fluid specified in the manual. What is everyone using and can it be had from an autozone or Napa?

The other thing is my tail lights stay on the whole time as if I were braking. Has anyone had that happen? I'm not real good with wiring but it seems to me like it should be something easy. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Royal Purple power steering fluid. Any Full Synthetic Power steering fluid will work. Valvoline Max Life is Semi Syn which is most available in auto parts will not be up to spec. I had to go with royal Purple b/c it was the only fully syn I could find. I think Risoline also makes a full syn fluid I had to use 4 pints @ $8 per pint it was $32 total. Pricey but no more wine in cold weather. I've not had a leak yet but I'm sure my time will come. There is a bleed screw on top of the steering box. You can attach a clear hose and a bowel to bleed out the system. If you use Royal purple, I just bled out the system till I, got all purple fluid, and then your done.

Did you replace the gasket that always goes bad on the back of the power steering pump? Or just add Permatex gray as a its own gasket

Last edited by bosshogt; 03-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

If your brake lights are staying on, most likely it is the switch. There is a switch that triggers the brake lights. It's located above the brake pedal. So when you hit the break, the metal part of the brake pedal releases the switch and the lights come on. Probably came loose or fell off. Look under the driverside steering wheel along the brake pedal (behind the cover) and see if you have a switch floating around. Hooking it back up is fairly self explanatory.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a brake light issue as well, mine literally come on every other time I push the brake. (noticed it while bleeding the brakes in the garage). Could this be the switch?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator Ritt
I am having a brake light issue as well, mine literally come on every other time I push the brake. (noticed it while bleeding the brakes in the garage). Could this be the switch?
It could be. If the switch is bad, it's an easy fix.