Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typhoon Wheels, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 09:55 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Typhoon Wheels, what to do

So I have aquired 4 typhoon wheels and have a 5th on the way.
If any of you are looking for some I found some on ebay and marketplace as well, plus one random post from a guy in Texas.
Last I checked 8 on ebay and 3 on fb.

I have been wanting to switch to 16 inch wheels and smooth out the ride a bit more and have been searching as I liked the look of these, or steel, but I preferred the Typhoons. Here they are.

After clean up they look to be in good enough condition to use as is if I wanted to keep Silver. My Hurricans have paint coming off and good tires, not sure what I will do with them.

The tires are trash and I will get them pulled and have some 245/75/r16 s mounted. I found some I like already that are in the same family as what I have on.

So here is the question to the community...

Truth is I like the silver, and I like the Kalahari style (I think the color is graphite?) I have also thought of doing the Kalahari style but painting them Giverney Green to match my truck. I think they all have their place aesthetically and would prefer to get this project on the road and not get stuck in descision paralysis.
What would your choice be?

@COSitsWORTHit I will pull my question to you here, Black, or Graphite for your preference?

Last edited by hasullivan; 05-30-2023 at 10:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hasullivan:
Brandon318 (06-04-2023), The_OGCJR (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m saying black.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I saw a set at Uwharrie this year that had been powdercoated black. Looked super sharp.

Old 06-04-2023, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

I think graphite would look pretty dope. Reminds me of the old Nogaro Silver wheels on E30 BMWs.

(also text me if you're getting rid of the wheels/tires, I might take em!)

Old 06-05-2023, 06:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I think graphite would look pretty dope. Reminds me of the old Nogaro Silver wheels on E30 BMWs.

(also text me if you're getting rid of the wheels/tires, I might take em!)
Will do. I got the 5th one in over the weekend and got the old tires pulled off the new to me wheels. Looking for a a owdercoater of painter now.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Another vote for graphite

Old 06-06-2023, 10:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think graphite will look good based on the pic of your Disco in your signature.

For what it's worth: I have two sets of wheels for my 06 RRS S/C - one street set of 20" wheels with sticky street tires and one offroad set that's 19" with offroad tires (19" is as small as I can go because of the Brembos). The street set is powder coated black and the offroad set is painted black. The street set has held up amazingly well BUT I did get one big chip in two of the wheels from rocks or something - no curb rash. The chips are deep because the powder coating is thick and the base primer is white - ugh. It's not really possible to touch up and have it look perfect again because paint isn't anywhere near as thick as the powder coating. I did put some black paint on the chips but they're still visible because of the divots. Conversely, my offroad wheels fix up great. I sanded them pretty well to give them a nice key, painted a hard-core black, acid-etch primer on first and then painted them matte black. When they get scratched or marked up on the trail, I just take off the wheel, mask up the tire, give it a light scuff and hit it with more black paint. No visible damage afterwards. There's no chance of doing that to the powder coated wheels - they'd have to go back to the powder coater to get blasted and then re-done. If you choose powder coating, I recommend asking if f they can do a black primer.

Whatever you choose, post a pic afterwards!

Last edited by L33DiscoII; 06-06-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:18 PM
Mudding

That exact situation has been on my mind. Powder coat, or rattle can. I am am looking for a local media blaster to clean up the wheels as I know I have little interest in the time it takes to strip back. I would like to have them complete in 1-1.5 months, and need ti mix in work with my schedule at the moment.
I will post pics when done for future reference. I may to some mock up painting as well.

The following users liked this post:
Brandon318 (06-06-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 11:51 AM
Mudding

Quick update taking them to a blaster to have them stripped today. Now time to get my paint list in and get them on order. I think I have decided on graphite. I want to get this and my drawers done before the Rover Rendezvous in September.

Question to you all, for the edge of the rim that is machined, on the Kalahari, are those clear coated or left raw?

Old 06-15-2023, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a fan of black myself but I think the graphite will look good too.

I have a powdercoater that's nearby, text me and I can get you the info if you want to do powdercoat.

There is no way that LR left that lip on the Kalahari's raw, so I would say they were clear coated.

The following users liked this post:
hasullivan (06-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Typhoon Wheels, what to do