Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh oh?

I was attempting to do my front brakes a minute ago. For some reason the lug nuts on the left side came off no problem, but the ones on the right side are giving me a lot of issues. Bad issues. I think my locking lug nut remover tool thingy finally gave up. I had it on the locking nut, torqued it up to try to break the lug. I felt it give in like the lug was coming off normally, but when I pulled the tool off the lug nut, the little piece that grabs on to the pattern in the nut stayed there and the rest of the tool came off. So I took a ratchet extension and basically just beat it into submission back where it came from, but when I tried it again the same thing happened and the tool's starting to look stripped. I can't afford to take it to a shop and let them deal with it, what the crap can I do?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Impact wrench?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What size socket are you using??

Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

1 1/16th, 6 point. It's not the socket that's the problem it's the tool that came with the truck to remove the locking lug nuts. Actually, come to think of it I don't think I've seen anyone else with them, here's a picture of the tool. Sorry for the crappy quality, just took it on my blackberry.

The little piece on the right is supposed to be inside the larger piece on the left, but... Well, you know.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Drifting

I was going to suggest JB Weld or some other epoxy to put the key back into the socket, but I don't know if that would hold up to the torque. Time for a new key unless you can weld a nut onto the top of your lug nut and use that to remove it.

I'm also reading that you can sometimes pound a 12 pt socket on and use that to break the nut free.

Last edited by smokeyrabbit; 07-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I know that this is of no help but NEVER use wheel locks...because this is what happens.
Now imagine being on the trail miles from anywhere your tire blew out and is off the rim and the forest is on fire and your pregant wife is in labor and its a blizzard and you cant change yoru tire because the damn wheel lock broke.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You know, I've wanted to take those stupid things off since I got the truck but figured as soon as I did I'd regret it. But after this screw it. The little tool kit that the tool came in even has 4 regular lug nuts in it, when I get these off they're off for good.

Edit-Wait, Spike if it's a blizzard how is the forest on fire?! :P

Old 07-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89

Edit-Wait, Spike if it's a blizzard how is the forest on fire?! :P
It's from the meteors!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit
I was going to suggest JB Weld or some other epoxy to put the key back into the socket, but I don't know if that would hold up to the torque.
Epoxy holding 100 ft/lbs of torque? Not a chance. JB Weld is for fixing the hole in the oil pan of your tractor, not putting the drive shaft back together.

Your second idea, of a 12 point socket....yes. Slightly smaller. Hammer it on. Impact gun. That's the way everyone does it.

If you don't have an impact, put the rest of the lug nuts on and drive somewhere that does.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I emailed Atlantic British, Rovers North, and a few other places and they all told me to take it to the dealer. =/ Guess I gotta bite the bullet.