Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Land Rover OEM issue locking lug nuts. They came in a neat box and even included white cotton gloves for when I have to change tires! Anyway they are of a really high quality and I have not had any issue with them like this. I think the only thing that you can do is use a nut splitter if you can get it far enough on to the lug nut or else it will have to be drilled out and you will need to have the lug replaced. on the hub afterwards.

Now the other question is "why did it break?" Was it just a cheap locking lug key or were your lug nuts torqued way to tight? I torque mine to 110 which may not be the correct torque but it seems to work fine for me and it seemed about right in my opinion when I got the truck.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weld a nut onto the lugnut and wrench it off...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a smaller socket and beat it onto the lock nut, it will junk the socket and lock hut but worth a try.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Mudding

Just call a few local tire shops and tell them you need your wheel lock removed. Most of tire shops have "wheel lock removal sockets" that they could remove it with in the parking lot and maybe won't charge you.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Chrisinhouston, I have the same kit you mentioned, straight from LR so I don't think it was the quality of the unit. I guess the lugs could be over torqued, but I doubt it, I was the last one to remove the front wheels.

If I can get my hands on a welder I'm gonna try to weld a nut on there real good and get it off that way. Hey, it's $10-15 for 4 nuts or I bring it somewhere and risk getting charged for labor.