Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhg what I mess up

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
When putting in gear or putting in park? Doesn’t move in drive or reverse? You can drop the tcase pan and see if anything spinning but starting to sound like a front pump.
in park so I would figure the TC in not in neutral
and if it a pump that would be replace the transmission?

Old 11-11-2021, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

If you get the noise when shifting from drive to park it indicates the transmission is spinning which is good. My guess is tcase is in neutral

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
jayvee (12-02-2021), mollusc (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling

If you get the noise when shifting from drive to park it indicates the transmission is spinning which is good. My guess is tcase is in neutral
mostly getting it from low.
and have found another trans and tcase from an 04 for 274.00 with 197k on them.
and this is my tcase linkage

Last edited by merebel; 11-11-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Also it Tcase was in neutral and transmission in park it should roll when pushed? right now it stays put and you can feel the resistance from the transmission.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you drain the transmission and forgot to put fluid back in it?

Old 11-11-2021, 04:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Well with the Tcase in neutral and trans in park it should roll easy. If you feel resistance it could be from the parking brake.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Well with the Tcase in neutral and trans in park it should roll easy. If you feel resistance it could be from the parking brake.
ok I am lost now lol
it no parking brake was on either

Old 11-11-2021, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Parking brake could be dragging, or you could have a busted tcase.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

While installing engine, did torque convertor spin freely after bolting up bell-housing? It should have spun freely, with no resistance, while lining up TC bolt holes. There should have been about a 1/16 of an inch clearance between flywheel and TC, and you would have drawn the torque convertor to the flywheel as you tighten bolts. If it didn't, spin freely, and you had to draw the bell-housing together with force while installing engine, you most-likely destroyed front pump.

It looks like the hi-low cable has been moved, in picture provided...is that from you trying to move it or was this picture taken before you started trying to move it?

Also, it might take a pretty good amount of strength to move your rover after it's been sitting for a while...rotors and pads can rust together pretty quickly...especially with all of the rain we've had lately.

It's been mentioned, pulling TC lower cover, to see if anything is turning...l'd surely do this before l bought a trans.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by The Deputy
While installing engine, did torque convertor spin freely after bolting up bell-housing? It should have spun freely, with no resistance, while lining up TC bolt holes. There should have been about a 1/16 of an inch clearance between flywheel and TC, and you would have drawn the torque convertor to the flywheel as you tighten bolts. If it didn't, spin freely, and you had to draw the bell-housing together with force while installing engine, you most-likely destroyed front pump.

It looks like the hi-low cable has been moved, in picture provided...is that from you trying to move it or was this picture taken before you started trying to move it?

Also, it might take a pretty good amount of strength to move your rover after it's been sitting for a while...rotors and pads can rust together pretty quickly...especially with all of the rain we've had lately.

It's been mentioned, pulling TC lower cover, to see if anything is turning...l'd surely do this before l bought a trans.

Thanks, I do remember the converter turning easy as that is how i aligned the bolt hole to start with. i have been also asked to remove the hose to the oil cooler and start it to check the pump. I can remove the bottom cover of the tcase also to see if it is spinning. and the hi low shifter is easier than it ever has been to move when trans is in neutral. and far as rolling trans in neutral and not running my 18 year old daughter pushed it out of the garage.
I can't be up there to either sat or Sunday to look at it again :-(
And if anyone would ask me if I would do it again for an engine swap I would say yup I would.

Quick Reply: Uhg what I mess up