Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhg what I mess up

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Well, if the convertor was turning freely...when you went to bolt it up...that's a plus and makes me believe the front pump may be/should be okay.

l'd hook a tow strap to it and see if you can get it to move and while being pulled, try and get the high/low to engage. You should feel it engage with a certain amount of positive force, it has a detent when engaged. Lube that portion of the cable you have pictured, especially the clevest and pin and lube cable where it connects to shifter above trans.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

ok took off the cooler line and ran it in neutral and nothing pumped out of either side :-( so I am figuring the pump is broken.
So with the one I have found how can I test to see if it is broken or not on that one when I look at it?

Then best way to replace the transmission ?
NO Lift just jack stands

Old 11-16-2021, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've done a transmission/transfer case swap with just jack stands and a set of ramps. I prefer to remove the TC first then remove the transmission. Much less weight to move around IMHO.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I've done a transmission/transfer case swap with just jack stands and a set of ramps. I prefer to remove the TC first then remove the transmission. Much less weight to move around IMHO.
And nothing special to worry about? Also do I need to lower the engine like I did to swap it out?

Old 11-16-2021, 11:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Agreed with the tcase removal unless you have a transmission jack. You might wantt to get a trans jack attachment for your jack to make it easier. I wouldn't worry about testing it if you are buying from a reputable seller, they rarely go bad and as long as the truck was drivable when pulled it should be fine. When you disconnect the trans crossmember and tc the engine will tilt down a bit, plan to block it under the oil pan to keep the coils from breaking from contact with the firewall.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Getting the mid-body crossmember off is about the hardest part of dropping the transfer case. Transmission jack from Harbor Freight makes the actual removal pretty easy.
You'll need to remove the centre console inside the truck too, which is cumbersome but not difficult. Drill out the rivets around the perimeter of the cover plate and replace them with screws while you're there.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling

This will be the replacement for mine. And I get the tcase for it too both from an 04

Old 11-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Mid body crossmember ? That is the one by the front drive shaft right ?? I deleted that when I put the 2 inch lift in it.

also I plan on just making a base for my floor jack to hold it and lift it.
But the just lowering the transmission allows me to get to all the bolts from the bell housing to engine ?

Old 11-16-2021, 12:14 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

There's a crossmember under the engine, and another one further back.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Long extensions & wobble sockets = you can get access to all the bell housing bolts. You can let the engine drop a little bit to help but as mentioned above don't go to far.

On the replacement pictured above the TC should have been held in or installed back in to protect the transmission, seals, and pump. It's also kinda rusty like it's been sitting outside so just take that into account. I always stick a small rod or screw up into one of the inspection plate bolt holes. It will keep the TC from falling out during removal or while being moved around outside of the vehicle.

Last edited by Best4x4; 11-16-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Uhg what I mess up