Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Headlight Assembly help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool UK Headlight Assembly help

http://britishparts.co.uk/products/8...amp-XBC501480G

http://britishparts.co.uk/products/9...lamp-XBC501490

To each his own I do not like the US spec headlight assembly so I would like to swap them out for the UK spec assemblies. I Cant find many websites that sell them but the one site that does implies that the lights are only compatible with right hand drive vehicles. Is this rue or does it really mater? I cant imagine how the position of the steering wheel would effect which light assemblies you could or could not install. Also what i "headlight leveling"? Its listed in he description as not having headlamp leveling. Please help. Thanks

Last edited by TRIARII; 06-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the difference b/w the two?

Gimme yours when your finished.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Literally the only difference is the amber lens are clear with amber bulbs. It'll be about $700 when you're done, rewiring and then you'll be BEAMING oncoming traffic because the reflectors are setup for RHD(face left instead of right)

Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,546 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Zack you forgot something, while it's blinding other drivers it's lighting the wrong part of the road making them pretty useless.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

True that, just bend your frame and drive diagonally

Old 06-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Actually, the beam shift is going to be in the wrong direction, you will blind others.

What you actually want is the EU (ECE) version of those lamps, and not the UK version. The beam shift is in the right direction, and the beam cutoff is worlds better than the DOT beam pattern.

While I do prefer the ECE beam pattern over the DOT pattern, you should know that you won't be able to see most unlit road signs, as the DOT beam pattern purposefully scatters some light upwards for those signs, while the ECE pattern scatters no light up, making reading the signs difficult (most if not all signs in the EU are illuminated).

Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There ARE LHD versions of the euro lights... that are cheaper, and don't have the amber portion.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Oh... nevermind Hamal already said that.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

http://www.lrspareparts.com/eshop/he...ly-rh-lhd.html

Discovery 2 Head Lamps at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

How many do you need/want TRIARII? LHD are euro spec and there are many new and used on Eblag UK. The beam MUST be right dip for LHD use as it's the right dip that's important because there is a 'flick up' at the RHS whereas with most modern vehicles it is switchable RHD/LHD the beam id a 'flat' beam' with no 'flick up'. As Army Rover says, you won't illuminate the road properly and you'll blind cars in the opposite lane without the correct lights and also it won't pass the annual ministry inspection, typically like the MOT in the UK or CT in France.

Interesting point. It is almost impossible to immatriculate an American LHD car into France whereas a RHD Brit car isn't a problem. There is some differences in US spec cars which don't jive well in Europe, I don't know what they are though. (Maybe just the French attitude, they don't like Americans and Brits 'cos we saved their necks 70 years ago and they hate to admit it even today )

Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the useful info. Guess ill stick with US spec headlights then. I wonder if its possible to switch out the amber lense for clear? As for the war, i do believe that Germany invaded France bombed Britain. The US sent over our troops in the 10's of thousands along with fleets of supply and warships. Including the second largest battleships in history along with aircraft carriers etc. Then we delivered our payload and bombed the axes powers into ruin. Without intervention from the US Europe and the UK would be speaking either German or Russian as the primary language. Funny cause now Europe and the UK close their borders and make it so dam hard for Americans to move over there.

Quick Reply: UK Headlight Assembly help