Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Headlight Assembly help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Nah TRIARII, it's as easy as 'apple pie' to move to the UK, witness half of the eastern block and africa moved there no probs. Not so sure about the rest of Europe though particularly France. There are quite a few Americans in France but lots in the UK. Personally, I can't understand why any Americans would want to leave the US permanently as you have everything there 'on your doorstep' so to speak.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was going to do this as well on mine (hated the amber) and I found the lights reasonably priced in the UK. The problem I am told is that the wiring is not the same.

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 06-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I work in the UK frequently, and I'll tell you all now that the UK Border Agency has cracked down HARD on US Citizens coming and going in the past 12 months.

Getting a simple business visitor visa has become a nightmare, with the UK wanting a full account of your business and personal finances before considering granting you a visa. And even with a valid multiple entry visa you're still given the 3rd degree every time you cross the border.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Racer X
I work in the UK frequently, and I'll tell you all now that the UK Border Agency has cracked down HARD on US Citizens coming and going in the past 12 months.

Getting a simple business visitor visa has become a nightmare, with the UK wanting a full account of your business and personal finances before considering granting you a visa. And even with a valid multiple entry visa you're still given the 3rd degree every time you cross the border.
I'm quite surprised and saddened by that. Now you come to mention it, I have a few Aus and Kiwi pals and they have been given **** by the UK Border Agency in recent months. It's amazing how the UK Border Agency lets in many foreign 'aliens' without stringent checks but gives grief to our allies and friends. Probably because the UK Border Agency is staffed by many alien foreigners who 'won' a UK passport somehow . I remember arriving in Aus at 04.30 and being given the 3rd degree and I was only going there on holiday and had a 6 month tourist visa.

It seems that if you all speak the same language you get grief everywhere.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I'm quite surprised and saddened by that. Now you come to mention it, I have a few Aus and Kiwi pals and they have been given **** by the UK Border Agency in recent months. It's amazing how the UK Border Agency lets in many foreign 'aliens' without stringent checks but gives grief to our allies and friends. Probably because the UK Border Agency is staffed by many alien foreigners who 'won' a UK passport somehow . I remember arriving in Aus at 04.30 and being given the 3rd degree and I was only going there on holiday and had a 6 month tourist visa.

It seems that if you all speak the same language you get grief everywhere.
Ive always wanted to immigrate to the UK. I did a college study on the UK, its history, politics and immigration and learned all about the UK border agency. Thats why I said what I said above. Its extremely difficult to move to the UK nowadays. David Cameron the Prime Minister is a real piece of work and I think he is behind alot of the crackdown **** as of late.

So has anyone taken the 03/04 Disco headlight assembly apart before? I want to know if its possible to switch out one of the amber lenses on each side to give it the UK/Euro look. Had LR kept true to the heritage I would not have to swap them out. The Series, Defender and Range Rovers all use a combo of the amber and the clear and I really like how it looks. Dont know what made them decide to stray and use dual amber lenses, it looks like ****. Yes Im very particular about my truck and I do care about the little details.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Ive always wanted to immigrate to the UK. I did a college study on the UK, its history, politics and immigration and learned all about the UK border agency. Thats why I said what I said above. Its extremely difficult to move to the UK nowadays. David Cameron the Prime Minister is a real piece of work and I think he is behind alot of the crackdown **** as of late.

So has anyone taken the 03/04 Disco headlight assembly apart before? I want to know if its possible to switch out one of the amber lenses on each side to give it the UK/Euro look. Had LR kept true to the heritage I would not have to swap them out. The Series, Defender and Range Rovers all use a combo of the amber and the clear and I really like how it looks. Dont know what made them decide to stray and use dual amber lenses, it looks like ****. Yes Im very particular about my truck and I do care about the little details.
I will be soon....I'll let you know

Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by TRIARII

Hi TRIARII, I don't think you would like what you find these days in the UK. As for David Cameron he is proving to be a weak total to55er. I can think of many alternative countries and continents I'd rather live in.

As for US spec D2 headlights are double amber sidelights, as you say, the UK though, the UK spec is one amber and one white as mine which is LHD and originally the spec for south Americas. I haven't stripped out the headlight as such but I'll take a look and see as will ZGP. It it's possible I'll enquire to see whether the amber lens can be changed for a white lens to the UK spec. Firstly though, check out whether it's permitted in the US.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For whatever reason my truck has a clear lens on one side and the regular US amber on the other... Beam pattern is the same between the two and no evidence of wiring differences, although I never looked that close at it to be 100% sure.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vette427sbc
For whatever reason my truck has a clear lens on one side and the regular US amber on the other... Beam pattern is the same between the two and no evidence of wiring differences, although I never looked that close at it to be 100% sure.
The euro assemblies are cheaper.

I cannot imagine there would be any wiring difference UNLESS they were self leveling. (But it's cheaper to get the non-self leveling. )

Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
The euro assemblies are cheaper.

I cannot imagine there would be any wiring difference UNLESS they were self leveling. (But it's cheaper to get the non-self leveling. )

I do not wish to blind anybody, and Id like to continue being able to see traffic sighs at night so really the only thing I want then is to have clear white lenses. A couple responses above indicated that there is a difference between the US and UK spec units so Ill stick with the US version.

Zack why are you taking your units apart anyways? But if and when you do, please take some pictures with your awesome camera and let me know what you find out about the lenses.

Much of this stems from a couple weeks ago when I was trying to access the bulbs inside the units. Attempted to remove the bolts that fasten the unit to the body and 3 of them broke right off due to rust. I did not continue but I did get a second opinion from the shop where I got my state inspection sticker and they said that the only way Im going to get the broken bolts out now is to drill threw them but in doing so it will force a hole directly into the headlight units and ruin them. He suggested I leave it alone. Sadly I my drivers side unit is lose now because enough of the bolt broke off that there is room for play and now whenever I go over bumps it wiggles the connections and makes the light go out. My units are old and scratched up anyways despite many attempts with lens cleaner/restorer. So Im eventually going to just replace both front headlight units with new ones. When I get the new units I hope to swap out the amber lens.

Alternatively....... I wonder what a 04 D2 would look like with 04 Range Rver headlight units installed, complete with HID's?

Quick Reply: UK Headlight Assembly help