Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK style plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 12:59 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UK style plates

Does anyone here in the US (Texas in particular) have UK style plates for their Disco 2? Is it a thing or even possible? Figured I’d check here before I called the DMV.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

I was thinking about the same, but it's not legal here in Cali (fine is $197 even if you do front only).You can go to a local sign shop and let them cut the numbers and letters from self adhesive vinyl. Get the font, google "UK number plate font". There are some free versions. More specifics can be found on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...United_Kingdom

Old 12-19-2023, 04:19 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Get anything you want, use at your own risk.

www.licenseplates.tv

Old 12-19-2023, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete C
Get anything you want, use at your own risk.

www.licenseplates.tv
I wonder how it would go over at the police station even it were your state issued plate number?? I’ll have to check this out. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2023, 07:01 PM
TReK
Received 493 Likes on 428 Posts

You probably need to just decide to do it (or not). If you ask questions the answer will almost surely be no.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harvlr
You probably need to just decide to do it (or not). If you ask questions the answer will almost surely be no.
You’ve been married for a good while I can tell. Been there. 😂

Old 12-19-2023, 08:41 PM
TReK
Received 493 Likes on 428 Posts

I have been married for a good long time (39 years), but if I treated my wife like that it might not have lasted as long. 😃

Old 12-19-2023, 11:42 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you specifically asked about Texas...It is illegal (see the Bold & Underlined parts):
Texas Transportation Code: Sec. 504.946. DECEPTIVELY SIMILAR LICENSE PLATE:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:(1) manufactures, sells, or possesses a license plate deceptively similar to a license plate issued by the department; or

(2) makes a copy or likeness of a license plate deceptively similar to a license plate issued by the department with intent to sell the copy or likeness.

(b) For the purposes of this section, a license plate is deceptively similar to a license plate issued by the department if it is not prescribed by the department but a reasonable person would presume that it was prescribed by the department.

(c) A district or county court, on application of the attorney general or of the district attorney or prosecuting attorney performing the duties of the district attorney for the district in which the court is located, may enjoin a violation or threatened violation of this section on a showing that a violation has occurred or is likely to occur.

(d) It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under this section that the license plate was produced pursuant to a licensing agreement with the department.

(e) An offense under this section is:

(1) a felony of the third degree if the person manufactures or sells a deceptively similar license plate; or

(2) a Class C misdemeanor if the person possesses a deceptively similar license plate, except that the offense is a Class B misdemeanor if the person has previously been convicted of an offense under this subdivision.

Last edited by 99TEXASD2; 12-19-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:29 AM
Overlanding

I drive around Dallas all the time with UK plates on my Defender, and touch wood, I've never been stopped. I have a customer in Montana that runs the original UK plates on his Defender, but he also runs a Montana plate bolted to his bumper. So yeah, order one from the UK (or anywhere in the EU) and just bolt a TX plate to your spare tire or something. Maybe bolt the TX plates to the right location before you go to inspection though.

--Chris

Old 01-21-2024, 07:08 PM
Drifting

he wasn't wanting to display UK/GB plates in addition to his Texas ones, he was asking if it was legal to have Texas plates custom made in the UK styling (long skinny style)...and that is NOT legal as I quoted above.

Displaying overseas plates that say came on your imported defender originally = fine as long as you have legitimate Texas plates that are properly displayed.

Quick Reply: UK style plates