Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultimate trail rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: ultimate trail rover

Pete-Thats what I was trying to say. Only not as well of that guy. Growing up on a farm we used stock sized tires on the truck, drove across muddy fields, snow covered two tracks to cut fire wood, wet grassy fields, etc. Never had a need for floation tires. Drive smart and you can go almost anywhere with a good tire and a competent truck.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think wide tires are done more for looks than off road capability. They have their place, but it may be overstated how useful a huge contact patch is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC1pi2rbMSE

These guys have fairly wide tires and don't have much traction on those rocks. Unfortunately there are no skinny tire examples in this video.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Team Owner

I wish I hadkept it, but I had a video of a '95 Disco doing a trail in northern CA. It was 100% stock, a aff road magazine had bought it to mod. They ran it with street tires on this trail and then again after the mods.
They said that the only difference was that they were able to do the same trail in less time with the mods than with out, and that without the mods you really had to pick your line and it might have taken 2-3 attempts but the truck went everywhere they pointed it, with street tires. They were very impressed with the capablities of the Disco.
The trail started with sand, rock, gravel, some mud, and ended with snow. It had alittle of everything in it.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Winching

Read this. This is what the Pete's are trying to say. Skinny for Most situations, Wide where there is no solid ground... http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I wish I had kept it, but I had a video of a '95 Disco doing a trail in northern CA. It was 100% stock, a aff road magazine had bought it to mod. They ran it with street tires on this trail and then again after the mods.
They said that the only difference was that they were able to do the same trail in less time with the mods than with out, and that without the mods you really had to pick your line and it might have taken 2-3 attempts but the truck went everywhere they pointed it, with street tires. They were very impressed with the capablities of the Disco.
The trail started with sand, rock, gravel, some mud, and ended with snow. It had alittle of everything in it.
Street tires in deep mud won't work. They will just spin and spin, even with lockers. UNLESS they are able to reach solid ground. Just a let know.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

"Deep mud" is the key phrase. I'm not talking about mud bogging, I'm talking about a muddy trail, like in the spring after the thaw or after the April monsoon's.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Winching

"Deep mud" is the key phrase. I'm not talking about mud bogging, I'm talking about a muddy trail, like in the spring after the thaw or after the April monsoon's.
Then they will wonderfully! Especially with TC.

p.s. I like skinny tires over wide too.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling

I was going to try an analogy of tires to women but I came up empty handed. Needless to say, skinny is better. This applies to tires also.

Pete

Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Tires are like women, we want to try them all and the one that we take home needs to have plenty of life left in them.
or
Tires are like women in that no two men can agree on which one is better.
or
Tires are like women, they will run you over every chance they get.

I could di this all night.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires are like women, they will run you over every chance they get.
rofl

Quick Reply: ultimate trail rover