Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Gauge re-design

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra Gauge re-design

Who thinks the makers of Ultra Gauge should re-design their product? It's a reasonably priced piece of equipment which gives you mind peace on temperatures. Although, I would like to see them re-design the front panel and have the three buttons more accessible by adding them to the front.

The velcro solution works but after pulling the U.G. off multiple times it pulls the velcro off the unit.

I'd be willing to pay more for a button front displayed unit. Just a thought.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know... I kind of like the sleek look it has without the buttons on the front. I guess it all depends on where you mount it, though. I have mine mounted just above the right side of the driver's console. Directly above the 3 switches. Easy to see and easy to still use the buttons. I used 3M adhesive double sided tape to mount the bracket to the dash. If I need to pull the gauge off, just unclip from the bracket and it's free.

I wonder if they could come up with a way to put the buttons on the side of the gauge? It may make it a bit thicker, though.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

For another $20, they could add touch screen... That would be my preference.

THEN, I'd incorporate it into my dash, console, or overhead. I've been tempted to, and may end up opening it up and adding leads so I can have exterior buttons for flush mounting somewhere.

Last edited by SuperSport; 05-09-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Mudding

I personally also do not like the buttons on the back side. But then again I hardly ever need to touch them anyway.

And besides, not to be the sore thumb here but what does the U-G have to do with a DII, specifically? Just observing once again, misplaced threads = harder to find information for those seeking it.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by tooltech
I personally also do not like the buttons on the back side. But then again I hardly ever need to touch them anyway.

And besides, not to be the sore thumb here but what does the U-G have to do with a DII, specifically? Just observing once again, misplaced threads = harder to find information for those seeking it.
I think the UltraGauge is specifically linked to the DII due to the Overheating stigma the DII has. As such, people are most likely to eventually add one to their DII. And, we are always looking for ways to make this installation as natural looking as possible so it appears to be part of the Stock Gauges.

Find my thread HERE about my UG and GPS installs.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I think the UltraGauge is specifically linked to the DII due to the Overheating stigma the DII has. As such, people are most likely to eventually add one to their DII. And, we are always looking for ways to make this installation as natural looking as possible so it appears to be part of the Stock Gauges.

Find my thread HERE about my UG and GPS installs.
Fair enough, was just curious. I have D1 and U-G has been invaluable to me as well... I installed mine on left side of binnacle. GPS/Phone is installed on windscreen on right side..

And honestly, I expected U-G to be a little bigger when I purchased it. Received it and I was a bit surprised how small it really is.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a touchscreen mod for the Ultragauge. Using some Lexan or plexiglass or something solid behind the gauge. When you push on the corners of the gauge it will give just enough to activate the rear push buttons. You can test this easily by placing your ultragauge on a flat surface and pressing the corners. You can feel the buttons activate. Here is a video demonstration of the mod. Skip to about 1:17 of the video.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

slick...

Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Pro Wrench

That's very cool. I notice his "Down" button does not appear to work right, but the idea seems like it will work if done right. I may attempt this somehow.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The down button will work fine. He was just holding it down to long.

Quick Reply: Ultra Gauge re-design