Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Unfortunate Sweet Smell of Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok......despite searching this forum and the Rave for the actual procedure to pressure check......and failing to find the procedure......

I put on the adapter and pumped her up to 15 psi........one hour later.....she is still 15 psi. No bleed down. The hoses feel pressured.

The Rave stated 20 psi.....is this what I should go too?

Right now I am thinking it could be the reservoir cap or something is expanding when the engine is hot....

Thanks,

RS

Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In consideration of the heater core issue suggested, is heater turned on?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I have used the heat a couple of time in last week or so. The carpets are dry and no smell inside the car. I get the whiff of the sweet smell after I get out of the Disco and walk towards the front end.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it is certianly not summer in your town, and the only ones feeling any heat are incumbent politicians. But the RAVE spec for the cap pressure is :

The expansion tank is fitted with a sealed pressure cap. The cap contains a pressure relief valve which opens to allow excessive pressure and coolant to vent through the overflow pipe. The relief valve opens at a pressure of 1.4 bar (20 lbf.in2) and above.

So you should be able to run PSI up to 20. I have hunted down hose leaks and such with a spray bottle with soapy water, spray each suspect area, if it is leaking little bubbles will form and get bigger. Works for inner tubes, tractor tires, and Zodiac boats. Problem with a D2 is that you have an intensive care bed full of pipes and connections. For a tiny leak, might take a while for meter to change. Is a good sign though about your head gaskets, so far. Don't forget hard to see hose clamps, like one under coolant bottle.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 plumbing.pdf (724.2 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
There is no heater control valve on the D2 like on the D1. Coolant always circulating through it due to the design of the system.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, I typed before checking the cooling schematic, so OP's comment about no smell inside is more important, because if it was leaking it would be noticed. Here are two ways to add that bypass option, from slaninsanjuan (just kidding):

Attached Thumbnails The Unfortunate Sweet Smell of Antifreeze-heater-bypass-2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pump the system up to whatever preasure the cap is set up for, I think it's 20 pound.
15 pound is not be enough, if it is a 20 pound system you are trying to dupucate operating preasure. if after 30 minute it has not lost any, any preasure at all; I would replace the cap.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

If the cap is venting, many times it will leave a mist on top of the coolant jug.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Mudding

I will take it up to 20 PSI tonight after she cools down.

I drove her to work and back today with the scantool/laptop hooked up. 203 to 207 degrees when driving. Will go to 216 degrees when idling at the stop light.

About 6 months ago she was running 198 to 204.

No signs of residue or mist on the coolant tank.

I am thinking I will change the thermostat, switch to good coolant, change out the plastic bleed screw for the BMW brass (already have this), change the plastic radiator plastic plug and then regroup.

Is there any place that will have the brass radiator plug and thermostat? Is a new expansion tank cap worth spending $24? Any other suggestions?

Thanks RS

Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No spots of leaking, and smell of Antifreeze??

Several options that everyone has mentioned except, check your back window and tailgate for fluid stains.. You may only be leaking while driving, which happened to me and it could be the weep hole on your water pump.. This will start to leak only while driving when the inner guts/bearings in the pump are starting to fail..
Only way to check it, is to turn engine on and let it sit and idle.. Then watch the passenger side of the water pump, and fluid might start spitting out..

Another, and worst case scenario is that you may have a failed head gasket.. Antifreeze could be slipping out of the engine through the exhaust and being burnt through the cat converter.. That would be why you see no stains or leaks.. this also happened to my '04

Quick Reply: The Unfortunate Sweet Smell of Antifreeze