Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent - overheated on side of road

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent - overheated on side of road

I've got steam and coolant spitting out of what looked like a fitting on the bottom of the intake manifold on the drivers side...there are two coolest hoses attached to the fitting. I've got a video but I don't think I can upload from my phone. I'm thinking I'm gonna let it cool all of the way down, fill up the coolant reservoir to the brim and try to make the 3 mile drive home later. Any other ideas?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Three Wheeling

That's the part Jared thank you...I guess it's just the gasket that blew out?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It could also be you blew a hose (or cracked one of the plastic coolant lines).

I don't know if I'd try a three mile drive with no coolant. Be prepared to stop and let it cool repeatedly.

Don't continue to drive when it's overheating!!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I'd try it at all, honestly. Because "overheating" by the time you notice (temp gauge in the red) is often times too late. If you have a way to monitor coolant temps and can keep it below, say, 230, you'll be fine.

I bypassed my throttle body heater by only using the hoses the vehicle provided. There was a plastic hose going to, a rubber hose going out (or vice versa). I joined the two using nothing but a hose clamp by slipping rubber hose over the plastic one, and it's been solid for 10k since. I'm sure you can do the same, unless your in/out hoses are busted.

I had to bend both at an awkward angle, which may or may not impede flow, but I consider this just a coolant loop. I should plug both ends and be done, but am too lazy. In short, my throttle body doesn't receive coolant (a major leak point before I did this), but I don't care!

Last edited by QuakerJ; 07-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thank you!

I built a quick fix thanks to some fittings at Home Depot. No leaking and the temp gauge is right where it belongs. I'm gonna buy that part, install it then flush the system and put new coolant in. Thank you guys so much for the help, it saved me from a $150 tow.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Take the $150 and buy an Ultra Gauge so you can catch overheating before the factory gauge even makes a dying quiver. You will have money left over for gasoline (always needed).

Old 07-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

1. Change the coolant to green antifreeze. The stock orange Dexcool can cause serious issues.

2. Be sure to read how to bleed the coolant system in the RAVE. It is necessary and important.

3. Buy an ultragauge or if you have an Android smartphone, buy a
bluetooth OBD II ELM 327 bluetooth OBD II ELM 327
scanner. Download the app Torque for your phone and you're done.

4. I didn't replace the gasket on my leaking throttle body heater, I just cleaned it very well and used a tiny bead of RTV to seal it. Hasn't leaked for almost two years now.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

that was a cheap and easy fix. use the money you saved and get a AAA membership w/ free towing. hey, it's a Landy. It's not a question of "if" you're going to need it, just "when".

Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You might want to get that throttle heater fixed for winter.

Otherwise congratulations on a nice fix.

you may want to watch the coolant level and listen for the gurgling noise from take off from a stop light.

That means you may need the system bleed from any air that got into it.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling

hey all, quick update from me on the coolant issue. i've ordered the throttle body heater kit and will be replacing in the next couple of days. i continue to go through quite a bit of water as i have to drive the truck around town for work (a mile here, a mile there kind of driving). i assume that i am losing water because it is boiling off as i drive. my temp gauge moves towards the high end but i havent gone into the red yet.

ive researched flushing the system and it looks like the best way to do it is by disconnecting the top hose of the thermostat and letting the coolant runout from there. (do i have to use the block drain plugs?) ill put the garden hose up to those hoses and flush in both directions until it's clear. ive been running tap water in it for the last week since i overheated-i realize thats not optimal but i didnt have a choice at the time.

the RAVE manual indicates dexcool but i see that's not necessary from this forum-thank you for that)

any other tips i am missing?

Quick Reply: Urgent - overheated on side of road