Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used key fobs

I've lost one key for my D2. I've had no issue going to a local locksmith and getting an "ilico" (brand of keys) blank cut that works in both the ignition and the door. You see the key advertised all over ebay for under $10. Once I had one key the locksmith was easily able to find more blanks in the shop. They seem to be unable (unwilling) to spend much time looking through the hundreds of blanks. It's marked "RV4-P". This key blank will work in *BOTH* the lock and the ignition.

It would appear that either a D2 2003 (Canada) doesn;t have an immobilizer in the key or it's been disabled in my vehicle (possible). The vehicle uses the "Valeo" remote key fob with 2 buttons on it. Looks exactly the same as older Mini-Cooper key.

In looking around it seems possible if you have access to an "autologic" or one or two other brands of "scantool" that you can program a used fob into the BCU. Apparently the process if you look for the 6 digit code inside the key and a dealer (or autologic) device can use that to re-create the barcodes on the original key for programming.

Based on that and assuming the relationship between the 2 barcode and the code inside is simple I played around and think I have the process reversed.

Unfortunately I need a few more keys with FULL barcodes AND the value from the inside of the key to make sure that my transformations are working.

I'm hoping some kind person on this list either has kept a barcode around from one of their old replacement keys or has access to a new unused key and can quickly grab the information from all 3 places.

Nobody can use the information to open up your car, it's just to see if I can confirm that we can now buy used keys and be able to use them easily as we can re-create the original barcode values.

Anyone interested please PM me or respond here.

The 3 values needed are not confidential in any way. Pictures of the barcode from camera phone work also. I need the 6 digit code inside to check tho!

thx

Last edited by foobar; 11-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't have the barcode, but I can give you my 6 digit code for one of the keys I have, and you generate your barcode, and I can tell you if it works. I replaced my BCU and ECM on my 1999 D2, and the key fob is no longer synced.

Last edited by jafir; 11-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

it won't let me send you another PM, but to answer your question, I do have a hawkeye, and it will program the keys to the BCU, but it does require the entire barcode, which I don't have.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:22 PM
6th Gear

I cleaned out my box. Only allows like 1 msg.

On the label there are 2 barcodes.

In both cases the stop start digits to frame the barcode are '*'. The last digit 'w' in the example below is a check digit for the barcode encoding itself.

The top barcode is always of the format

*u XXXXXX YYYYYY FF w*

bottom
*FFFF FFFF ZZZZZZ w*

FF is hex filler.

What format does the hawkeye expect you to enter. Both barcodes everythign including the *?

Both barcodes and just XXXXXX or YYYYYY and ZZZZZZZ?

Somebody that has purchased a key full dealer replacement must be willing to look for all 3 sets of numbers.

I need a at least one more complete sets of information..

thx

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have to plug in when I get home from work to confirm.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 PM
6th Gear

try this to program back of key 40E4D1
*JBF1B2EBF1B2DFFJ*

into whatever vehicle

thx

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

It's too short. The hawkeye wants two 9 digits or I guess an 18 digit.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jafir
It's too short. The hawkeye wants two 9 digits or I guess an 18 digit.
Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I needed to actually enter the asterisks. So the hawkeye asks for "code 1" which is the code you provided me, and then "code 2" which I assume is the *FFFF FFFF sixdigits check*, but I'm not sure what to use for the check digit.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Here are a couple of barcodes:

Rover Connection-Remote (SLS)
Land Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory Chrome Exhaust Tip

Not sure if they will help.

EDIT: http://www.autodiagnos.com/sites/def...remoteprog.pdf here is another, but it might be bogus.

Last edited by jafir; 11-11-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM
6th Gear

For the second barcode try

*FFFFFFFF 40E4D1 J*

The checkdigit isnt; actually the right one but I'm assuming your hawkeye doesn;t care as long as the digit exists.

Normally the checkdigit is only of interest to the barcode reader itself.

thx

Quick Reply: Used key fobs