Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by brad_ramsey
Second, I'm wondering if I'm missing a step in using the Hawkeye. After the "Programming Key" message appears on the display, what do you do next? Do you have to press a button on the fob?
I don't believe you have to press a button AFTER programming it. The first thing it does is have you press each of the fobs you have. After each one, it determines if it's programmed or not. If it is, it skips it, if it's not it asks for the code. I think it will also ask you if it's one of those fancy SLS remotes that can raise or lower the air bags in the back.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Have you priced one? They are like $12,000. http://www.worldpac.com/pdfs/autologic_flier.pdf

A hawkeye or nonocom can be had for $500 or less. Though the nanocom might be able to do the same thing that autologic does, program keys with just the 6 digit code. But if you already have a hawkeye, an algorithm like this is great.
I agree that for the DIY'er, the Autologic makes no sense. But there are plenty of indy shops that have them, many of which probably have no idea that they can program the DII remotes. For me, paying them to do it is how I'd get a key programmed. If you have a Hawkeye, then you need to use the algorithm.

By the way, a Tech posted that they have the ability to generate the barcodes from the internal numbers using a word document that LR gave them. Still, a trip the dealer for this would require a new key as well. You can just about buy the Hawkeye and a used key for what that would cost you.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key code worksheet

After some great information from Jafir, I have learned that the codes required for key programming using a Hawkeye are a simpler subset of the general bar codes that are shown on new keys. I have attached a worksheet that can be used to create the codes that are usable on a Hawkeye.

Caveat: very little testing has been done on codes generated using this worksheet. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Especially the fob-type 'J' or 'G' designations.

Addition (2013 Jan 16) I modified the worksheet adding the instructions for calculating the check characters. I have left the original worksheet here for reference:
Attachment 12849

(2013 Jan 16 evening): I fixed some typos in the document.
(2013 Apr 04): I found a problem. I did not have the entire code39 character set. The missing character (a space) has been added and new instructions for the case where the last character of the inner code is a '0'.
20130405: More changes to account for a 0 at the end of the code.

-Brad

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by brad_ramsey; 04-05-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Updating the attachment
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

After some great information from Jafir, I have learned that the codes required for key programming using a Hawkeye are a simpler subset of the general bar codes that are shown on new keys. I have attached a worksheet that can be used to create the codes that are usable on a Hawkeye.

Caveat: very little testing has been done on codes generated using this worksheet. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Especially the fob-type 'J' or 'G' designations.

-Brad
Very cool document. Were you able to program your remote to your discovery?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jafir
Very cool document. Were you able to program your remote to your discovery?
I know this sounds odd, but I'm not certain. I have a working and a non-working transmitter; both are the original fobs for the vehicle. I've been trying to program the BCU for the non-working fob. The LED's on the FOB work like they are supposed to indicating that the fob itself may be fine. It stopped working after spending a month in a backpack. I believe that the button was pressed many times inside the pack, causing the BCU to lose sync with the fob.

My attempts programming the bad key have failed. My latest attempt was to program both keys using the Hawkeye. When prompted to test the keys, I pressed the bad fob both times and the Hawkeye indicated that the key needed to be programmed both times. I then entered the codes for each key.

Result: the working key works and the "bad" fob does not. So, either the programming worked and my "bad" fob has failed in some other way, or the previous programming settings were retained and the programming operation had no effect.

Possibilities:
1. The Hawkeye will not clear existing key information --- it simply adds to the existing programmed key slots. If a newly entered code matches an existing slot then it does not program a new slot. It also does not re-sync the existing slots. In your case Jafir you may have been working with a BCU that had clear key slots in both your sessions.

2. My "bad" fob has failed. The programming works fine.

3. The codes that I generate are not properly formed.

If anyone else makes use of the worksheet above the feedback on success or failure would be very helpful. If anyone who has access to the LR word document can verify that the creation steps are equivalent in results it would be a great help as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Drifting

I have modified the barcode worksheet to include the calculation of check characters. The updated revision is available above:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-45057/page3/
post #23.
The new document is named disco2_fobcode_worksheet_20130116.pdf

New: latest is disco2_fobcode_worksheet_20130117.pdf I fixed some typos.

Last edited by brad_ramsey; 01-17-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: new rev
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Drifting

I found a problem in the worksheet. I did not have the entire code39 character set. The missing character (a space) has been added and new instructions for the case where the last character of the inner code is a '0'.

The updated revision is available above:
Used key fobs
post #23.
The new document is named disco2_fobcode_worksheet_20130403.pdf

Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Drifting

I have put a working online spreadsheet version of the code generator on Google Docs. Anyone can generate codes in their browser using this link or export an excel version to use on their computer.

It is here: http://goo.gl/br9fS

The following 5 users liked this post by brad_ramsey:
JUKE179r (02-12-2018), No Doubt (11-18-2017), techterr (07-04-2015), terryc (06-04-2018), za105 (08-30-2022)
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foobar
I've lost one key for my D2. I've had no issue going to a local locksmith and getting an "ilico" (brand of keys) blank cut that works in both the ignition and the door. You see the key advertised all over ebay for under $10. Once I had one key the locksmith was easily able to find more blanks in the shop. They seem to be unable (unwilling) to spend much time looking through the hundreds of blanks. It's marked "RV4-P". This key blank will work in *BOTH* the lock and the ignition.

It would appear that either a D2 2003 (Canada) doesn;t have an immobilizer in the key or it's been disabled in my vehicle (possible). The vehicle uses the "Valeo" remote key fob with 2 buttons on it. Looks exactly the same as older Mini-Cooper key.

In looking around it seems possible if you have access to an "autologic" or one or two other brands of "scantool" that you can program a used fob into the BCU. Apparently the process if you look for the 6 digit code inside the key and a dealer (or autologic) device can use that to re-create the barcodes on the original key for programming.

Based on that and assuming the relationship between the 2 barcode and the code inside is simple I played around and think I have the process reversed.

Unfortunately I need a few more keys with FULL barcodes AND the value from the inside of the key to make sure that my transformations are working.

I'm hoping some kind person on this list either has kept a barcode around from one of their old replacement keys or has access to a new unused key and can quickly grab the information from all 3 places.

Nobody can use the information to open up your car, it's just to see if I can confirm that we can now buy used keys and be able to use them easily as we can re-create the original barcode values.

Anyone interested please PM me or respond here.

The 3 values needed are not confidential in any way. Pictures of the barcode from camera phone work also. I need the 6 digit code inside to check tho!

thx
Hi have you found a way to generate the full bar code from the 6 digits in the remote. I bought a used remote for my 03 D2 and the dealer said that they could not program it unless i had the barcode. Pls let me know ASAP either by email or better by txt/cell.
Thanks
William 619 847-4300

Old 07-04-2015, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put a working online spreadsheet version of the code generator on Google Docs. Anyone can generate codes in their browser using this link or export an excel version to use on their computer.

It is here: http://goo.gl/br9fS
Just wanted to say thanks for this... It has made my job alot easier..
Take care,
Tim