Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Wal-Marts "Plus" gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run 1) Shell 2) Mobil...not much else around me worth putting in my tank

Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I have already verified my information thru 2 employes at out local 3 refineries.
Yes, in our case the base gas is the same, yes, the additives are added at the terminal and no, not to all gas. Each major gets there own additives and most of the discount gas stations have none added to their gas while filling at the terminal.

Originally Posted by Spike555
Disco Mike and I dont agree on much but I am with him 100% on this.
A friend of mine drives a gas tanker and my wife used to manage a Marathon gas station in Traverse City.
Yes all the gas comes from the same terminal BUT they add the different additives while it is in the truck.
So Shell calls for additives XYZ in whatever% per 1,000 gallons of 87 octane, the driver dumps in XYX in the correct %.
If he has any left over after filling the Shell station's underground fuel tank then he calls his dispatcher and then they tell him to take the left overs to Bob's Discount Gas and Crab Shack.
Bob buys the left over Shell gas at a discount because it is cheaper to sell it to Bob than to truck it back to the teminal.
BUT next time Bob needs gas he calls and says bring me the cheap stuff and so they fill the truck with the cheap stuff and deliver it to Bob.
There IS a difference in the gas that you buy.

Exactly Right.

My fathers friend owns quite a few gas stations and he distributes gas to the other local stations. This is exactly how they do it.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys, I try to cycle which gas companys I use. I avoid "Caseys" brand gas. We do have a shell in town and I use there V-Power 93 octane. However, since I am so close to Iowa I can cross over there and get gas about 20-40 cents cheaper per gallon. For the longest time when I would fill up at walmart I would buy there "Premium 93 Octane" but now I may just use there "Plus 91 Octane" I will try to rotate shell-walmart. But when your my age and only make 7.25 per hour, 30 cents is 30 cents sometimes. For example I paid 2.81 for vpower at shell the other day and then a few days later I paid 2.39 for walmart "premium" (I fill up before half tank)

I do love my rover though. You get so many looks from people. I had the idler/tensioner pulley and a new serpentine belt put on yesterday for $35 but the car still squeaks (not as bad) but still from the pulley area. There must be another pulley that needs replaced.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:20 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Having actually hauled fuel and loaded trucks at the refinery loading racks I can verify that all fuel comes from the same place but the additives are what sets the fuels apart. Here in the Denver area the majority of fuel comes from the Sinclair loading racks. Each customer has a specific code for the truck driver to use when loading that tells the system who the fuel is going to and what additives are in the fuel. When you pay more for fuel you're paying more for the additives than the fuel itself.

Walmart, Costco and others don't use additives which is why they can sell cheaper. It's fine to use it once in a while but long term use is going to wreak havoc on the engine.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't really studied the gas I put in and made notes when I went to different gas stations. BUT there was ONE that stood out and made me notice, and that was the SHELL V power. Made a very noticable difference in how my D1 ran. Seems to be more responsive especially if I go above 3K rpm before up shifting.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mordor110
... if I go above 3K rpm ...
You can rev a LR engine that high?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
You can rev a LR engine that high?
LOL, yeah I didn't when I first got it. It just was reluctant to go over 3Krpm. But after changing the plugs and running the Lucas fuel additive it was more responsive. My plugs are due to be cleaned/changed again & I have a set of Magnecors to go on, still have stock wires on it. But even in that state with the Shell V power & the Lucas it pulls up to 4K rpm pretty smoothly. But I only do it for short periods of time in the lower gears if I'm really getting on it. Typically I shift up around 3K rpm. I have run it up over 3K in 4th gear, can't rememeber how high exaclty but I was doing 80mph in 4th. Only did that once by accident actually when I was passing someone.

According to the tach there is no redline so you can rev it as high as you like LOL? (or dare)

Last edited by mordor110; 05-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.