Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2

Hello

I'm considering installing a vacuum gauge on my 2003 D2 SE7. A vacuum gauge is also called a fuel economy gauge where it shows if you are driving your vehicle economically or using fuel.

Does anyone here know how to install this gauge? I was told that you simply attach it to the intake manifold but I don't know the exact place in my LR Discovery

Thanks

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Old style technology, but it will prompt you to "feather foot", or drive like you have an egg between foot and gas pedal. You can connect with a T to any vac line that runs to the intake manifold. Test with device plugged in under hood before making final mount inside.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Old style technology, but it will prompt you to "feather foot", or drive like you have an egg between foot and gas pedal. You can connect with a T to any vac line that runs to the intake manifold. Test with device plugged in under hood before making final mount inside.
S Buzz,

Thanks for replying. But I was looking for specifics regarding where the actual vacuum lines are on the vehicle, or maybe someone can direct me to the right page on the Rave manual on finding where they are.

Al

Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

The Secondary Air Injection system has a vac line between a reserve container and the manifold as an example.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The Secondary Air Injection system has a vac line between a reserve container and the manifold as an example.
Buzz,

I took pics of what I think is the vacuum container and another part where I can "tap" into with a "T". See below. Which one of these would you tap into?

Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2-photo-1.jpg

Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2-photo-2.jpg

Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2-photo-3.jpg

Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2-photo-4.jpg

Once again, thank you!

Sincerely

Al G

Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

See attached. Locate item 4, the vac reserve container. Place T on line from this container to intake manifold.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 SAI layout.pdf (747.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Mudding

Buzz

Thank you very much! That was the info I needed! I'll post an update

Regards

Al

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Here is what I got on a 4.0 D1. There actually are a number of things the vac gauge can show an old school mechanic, back when you could diagnose vehicles without megabytes. When you put pedal to the metal (or electrons, in case of the electronic throttle Rovers) that gauge is headed toward zero in a hurry.

You saw these on cars in the 60's, and some Mercedes later on. On the GM ones it was to prompt you to keep your foot out of the back two barrels on the 4 barrel carb. Some Dad's would disable the linkage in a vain attempt to control teenage drivers. A Pontiac Bonneville with a factory stock 421 and two Carter aluminum four barrels was a sweet running vinyl lined gas hogus maximus. You stuck to the vinyl unless you were running 70 with the windows down.

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2-p1120432.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't waste your money. If you want to improve your MPG look at your air pressure try 40 pounds all the way around, tune up with new 8 mm silicone wires like STI's or Magnacor's, do an induction cleaning and stay off the gas pedal.
What octane are you burning and what is your current MPG in town and on the road?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy an ultra guage get all the info you want, including instantaneous fuel usage, manifold pressure, throttle percentage, fuel trim curves, coolant temps, clear/check engine codes... and no wires, drilling, routing lines and mounting. plug n play.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Gauge for Disco 2